Golowasch nets first goal as a Panther in setback
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Maya Golowasch (West Harrison, N.Y.) scored her first goal as a member of the Plymouth State University women's soccer team, but PSU came up on the short end of a 3-1 decision against Roger Williams University in a non-conference game at Arold Field on a drizzly Saturday afternoon.
The Hawks converted a penalty kick for an early lead, then tacked on a pair of goals before Golowasch put Plymouth State on the board in the 87th minute.
PSU dips to 2-3 on the year, while Roger Williams moves to 2-4.
Plymouth State 1, Roger Williams 3
Plymouth State (2-3-0)
Roger Williams (2-4-0)
How it Happened.
- The Hawks took advantage of a PSU foul in the box just 3:17 into the game and graduate student Arianna Delli Carpini (Bedford Hills, N.Y.) cashed in on the penalty kick to give Roger Williams an early 1-0 lead.
- The visitors doubled the lead in the 16th minute with senior Gabbi Rozumek (Woodstock, Vt.) made a run down the right side before finding the back of the goal.
- Rozumek struck again in the 62nd minute following a PSU turnover in its defensive end.
- Plymouth State had great chances later in the second half with sophomore Jordan Meier (Holderness, N.H.) nearly finding the net with a header.
- Golowasch picked up her first goal as a Panther when she headed in a cross from senior Emily Tibbels (Rehoboth, Mass.) on a free kick in the 87th minute.
Inside the Numbers:
- RWU held a 6-3 edge in shots over the first 45 minutes, but the Panthers outshot the visitors by the same margin in the second half.
- PSU had two corners to the Hawks' one, with all three coming in the second half.
- Sophomore Cat Robbins (Franklin, Mass.) made three saves but took the loss to fall to 1-2, while sophomore Morgan Strassburg (Longmeadow, Mass.) improved to 1-3 with a six-save effort.
- Plymouth State heads to Curry on Tuesday (Sept. 17) for a 6:30 p.m. non-conference clash.
– 30 –