Lloyd's hat trick leads Panthers to win
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Mallory Lloyd (Hartland, Vt.) notched her second career hat trick and added three assists to guide Plymouth State University to a 7-2 win over Rhode Island College in a Little East Conference women's soccer game at Arold Field on Saturday.
RIC took a 1-0 lead in the third minute, but PSU responded with four unanswered goals to take a 4-1 lead into halftime. The Anchorwomen cut the deficit to 4-2 just 19 seconds into the second half, but Plymouth State closed out the contest with three more scores for the 7-2 final.
Plymouth State improves to 6-6-0 and 3-1-0 in the Little East, while RIC drops to 3-10-0 and 0-5-0 in conference action.
Plymouth State 7, Rhode Island College 2
Plymouth State (6-6-0, 3-1-0 LEC)
Rhode Island College (3-10-0, 0-5-0 LEC)
How it Happened:
- Freshman Abigail Proulx (Smithfield, R.I.) gave the Anchorwomen a 1-0 lead when she scored after picking up the rebound following a shot that had been deflected by a PSU defender.
- Plymouth State evened the score in the seventh minute when Lloyd found sophomore Sarah Hicks (Sutton, Mass.) open outside the top of the box, and Hicks' low shot found the bottom right corner.
- Lloyd gave PSU the lead with her first goal of the day after collecting a loose ball in front of the net in the 15th minute.
- The Panthers pushed the margin to 3-1 with Lloyd's second of the day in the 32nd minute. Senior Amy Luther (Westerly, R.I.) sent a cross to Lloyd, who sent her shot to the far left corner.
- Sophomore Jordan Meier (Holderness, N.H.) got into the scoring column after converting a corner kick off the foot of Lloyd to make it 4-1 in the 35th minute.
- Senior Madyson Christian (Douglass, Mass.) got the second half started on the right foot for the Anchorwomen. Just 19 seconds into the half she converted a breakaway through the defense to cut the margin 4-2.
- Hicks picked up her second of the game six minutes later. Lloyd carried the ball down the line, cut into the box through two defenders and sent a cross to Hicks, who buried it in the back of the net for a 5-2 lead.
- Lloyd completed the hat trick in the 58th minute and junior Maya Golowasch (West Harrison, N.Y.) capped the scoring after rocketing a shot past the RIC keeper in the 78th minute.
Inside the Numbers:
- Lloyd has scored in each of her last seven starts, accumulating ten goals and 26 points during that span. Her last hat trick came on Oct. 18, 2017 when she accounted for all three PSU goals in a 4-3 setback to Salem State.
- Hicks (four goals, three assists) and Meier (five goals, one assist) are tied for the second most points on the team, with 11.
- RIC senior Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, R.I.) made five saves, but dropped to 3-10-0 on the year, while PSU sophomore Cat Robbins (Franklin, Mass.) had four saves to improve to 5-2-0.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"Ball movement was good, speed of play, aggressiveness – we did a lot of good things here today, but there's still a lot of things we've got to improve on," said head coach Ryan Joy. "We've got another big game Wednesday, but it's exciting when you put up seven goals and there are still things you can improve on."
- Plymouth State hosts Keene State in a LEC showdown on Wednesday (Oct. 16) at 3:30 p.m.
– 30 –