Lloyd with a goal and assist in LEC setback
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Mallory Lloyd (Hartland, Vt.) picked up yet another goal and added an assist, but Keene State College pulled out a 3-2 overtime win over Plymouth State University in a Little East Conference (LEC) women's soccer game at Arold Field on Wednesday afternoon.
PSU took an early 1-0 lead, but Keene State scored twice in the second half before Lloyd evened things at two with a goal in the 68th minute. The Owls pulled out the win, however, as junior Jordan Abasciano (Auburn, Mass.) scored her third goal of the game just 16 seconds into overtime.
Plymouth State falls to 6-7-0 and 3-2-0 in the LEC, while Keene State improves to 6-7-0 and 3-2-0 in league play.
Plymouth State 2, Keene State 3 (OT)
Plymouth State (6-7-0, 3-2-0 LEC)
Keene State (6-7-0, 3-2-0 LEC)
How it Happened:
- Hicks gave the Panthers an early lead in the sixth minute. Junior Mallory Lloyd (Hartland, Vt.) dribbled down the left wing, then cut inside and squared the ball low to Hicks, who launched a shot over the KSC keeper.
- PSU nearly doubled its advantage in the 39th minute. A Keene defender was called for a foul just outside the box on the left side. Lloyd sent a shot hit to the top right corner, but junior Abbie Terrinca (Ludlow, Mass.) made the save. The rebound came loose for a moment, but Terrinca was able to corral it before a Plymouth State attacker could capitalize.
- Keene State evened the game less than five minutes into the second half when Abasciano tallied her first of the afternoon. Junior Sarah Carron (Feeding Hills, Mass.) carried the ball down the right win before sending a cross to Abasciano. Her initial shot was stopped, but the ball came loose and Abasciano pounced on it.
- Abasciano struck again in the 57th minute when she curled in a shot from just outside the box into the top left corner following a KSC corner kick.
- Lloyd squared the game at 2-2 with her 11th goal of the year in the 68th minute. A Keene State defender attempted to clear the ball on a header, but Lloyd was able to get a head on the attempt and redirected it to the right side of the goal.
- Abasciano completed the hat trick after settling a ball at the top the six and blasting it inside the far post for the game-winner.
Inside the Numbers:
- Lloyd extends her unbelievable string of scoring with a goal in each of her last eight starts.
- Hicks notched her fifth goal of the season.
- Abasciano recorded her first career hat trick for the Owls, while Carron had a pair of assists.
- PSU held an 11-8 edge in shots, while each team had two corner opportunities.
- Junior Cat Robins (Franklin, Mass.) dropped to 5-3 after making one save, while Terrinca made five stops to improve to 4-2.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"It's a rivalry game for a reason," said head coach Ryan Joy. "Either team could have won here today. We will have to turn it around quickly and be ready to go on Saturday against WestConn."
- Plymouth State heads to WestConn on Saturday (Oct. 19) for a league contest starting at noon.
– 30 –