Burch scores for Panthers in LEC setback
DANBURY, Conn. – Junior Keegan Burch (Nashua, N.H.) notched her first goal of the year, but Western Connecticut State University ran past Plymouth State University, 5-1, in a Little East Conference (LEC) women's soccer game at Westside Athletic Complex on Saturday afternoon.
WestConn got off to a quick start with a pair of goals in the game's first nine minutes, but Plymouth State cut the deficit in half on Burch's goal. The hosts added another tally for a 3-1 halftime advantage, then put the game away in the second half.
Plymouth State falls to 6-8-0 and 3-3-0 in the LEC, while WestConn improves to 12-4-1 and remains unbeaten (6-0-0) in league play.
Plymouth State 1, WestConn 5
Plymouth State (6-8-0, 3-3-0 LEC)
WestConn (12-4-1, 6-0-0 LEC)
How it Happened:
- WestConn took a 2-0 lead with goals coming in the seventh and ninth minutes before Burch cut the lead in half in the 31st minute.
- Sophomore Kaleigh Panek (Shelton, Conn.) made it 3-1 at the half with her second of the game.
- Panek struck again in the 55th minute to complete the hat trick and freshman Myah Croze (Bristol, Conn.) tallied her second of the day to push the lead to 5-1 two minutes later.
Inside the Numbers:
- Sophomore Cat Robbins (Franklin, Mass.) made one save through the first half before giving way to classmate Elena Register (Helena, Ala.). Register notched a pair of saves in the final 45 minutes.
- WestConn held a narrow 22-19 edge in shots, but PSU owned a 3-2 advantage in corner kicks.
- Sophomore Karly Martin (Bristol, Conn.) and junior Alexis Lainchbury (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) combined for ten saves for the Colonials.
- WestConn has won ten straight games.
- PSU will visit Nichols for a non-conference game on Wednesday (Oct. 23) for a 3:00 p.m. tilt.
– 30 –