Schumaker, Allaire lead Panthers to victory in home opener
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Addie Schumaker (Haymarket, Va.) and freshman Casey Allaire (Mattapoisett, Mass.) won two individual events Friday afternoon to lead the Plymouth State University women's swimming and diving team to a 147-131 victory over Colby-Sawyer College in PSU's home opener at the PSU Natatorium.
Schumaker captured the 50-yard breaststroke in 35.46 seconds, and touched the wall first in the 200-yard individual medley in 2:30.83. Allaire was the winner in both diving events, scoring 193.25 points to take the one-meter event and 185.60 on the three-meter board.
PSU won nine events in the meet, clinching the team victory in the final race, the 400-yard free relay, while Colby-Sawyer won seven events in the meet.
at PSU Natatorium, Plymouth, N.H. – Friday, Nov. 11, 2016
Plymouth State 147, Colby-Sawyer 131
Records: PSU 1-0; CSC 1-2
* The Panthers also got individual victories from freshman Molly Harrington (Tewksbury, Mass.) in the 50-yard freestyle (26.45 seconds); sophomore Julia West (Wiscasset, Maine) in the 50-yard backstroke (31.35 seconds); sophomore Melissa Page (Atkinson, N.H.) in the 100-yard butterfly (1:16.30); and sophomore Deanne DeGrazia (Westport, Mass.) in the 500-yard free (6:08.78).
* The Chargers were led by junior Makenzie Welch (Torrington, Conn.), who won three individual events – the 200 free (2:08.96), the 100 back (1:05.46) and the 50 fly (30.70).
* Also winning individual events were senior Meghan Mamlock (West Barnstable, Mass.) in the 1000 free (11:56.87); sophomore Meagan Thomsen (Gorham, Maine) in the 100 free (1:02.3); and senior Anna Zdziarski (Southfield, Mass.) in the 100 breaststroke (1:15.78).
* Colby-Sawyer's top relay team captured the 200 medley relay race, as Welch, Zdziarski, freshman Samantha Eaton (Saco, Maine) and Thomsen won in a time of 2:02.72.
* The Panthers will be back in the pool next Saturday, Nov. 19, in a tri-meet with Western New England University at Eastern Connecticut State University, beginning at 1:00 p.m.
-- 30 --