Panthers down Western New England; fall to Eastern Conn.
WILLIMANTIC, Conn. – The Plymouth State University women's swimming and diving team won three individual events while splitting a tri-meet Saturday afternoon, defeating Western New England University, 154-82, but losing to host Eastern Connecticut State University, 145-99.
Junior Emily Wadlinger (Lebanon, N.H.) took first place for PSU in the 50-yard freestyle in 26.57 seconds; freshman Molly Harrington (Tewksbury, Mass.) touched the wall first in the 100-yard freestyle in 58:21; and sophomore Julia West (Wiscasset, Maine) was the winner in the 50-yard butterfly in 29.86 seconds.
at the Sports Center Pool, Eastern Connecticut, Willimantic, Conn. – Saturday, Nov. 19, 2016
Eastern Connecticut 145, Plymouth State 99
Plymouth State 154, Western New England 82
Eastern Connecticut 156, Western New England 82
Records: PSU 2-1; ECSU 4-0; WNE 2-4
* The Panthers finished runner-up in both relay races. Wadlinger teamed with junior Addie Schumaker (Haymarket, Va.), sophomore Melissa Page (Atkinson, N.H.), and Harrington to finish second in the 400-yard medley relay, and the team of Harrington, junior Alexandra Ambrosino (Holden, Mass.), Schumaker and Wadlinger finished second in the 400-yard free relay.
* Wadlinger also finished in second place in the 50 backstroke in 30.15 seconds; Harrington was runner-up in the 200 free (2:13.90); and West was second in the 50 free in 26.99 seconds.
* Sophomore Deanne DeGrazia (Westport, Mass.) posted a pair of second-place finishes – in the 500-yard free (6:07.33) and the grueling 1,650-yard free (21:16.02).
* Sophomore Melissa Page (Atkinson, N.H.) also took second in the 200-yard back (2:40.38).
* The Panthers will be back in the pool on Saturday, Dec. 3, with a home meet against Rhode Island College, beginning at 1:00 p.m. at the PSU Natatorium in the P.E. Center.
-- 30 --