Wadlinger posts two victories for Panthers
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Tia Pariseau (Holden, Mass.) won three individual events Saturday afternoon as Westfield State University defeated Plymouth State University, 161-110, in an intercollegiate women's swimming and diving dual meet at the PSU Natatorium.
Pariseau finished first in the 50-yard freestyle in 26.36 seconds, and had the top finish in the 50- and 100-yard breaststroke races in 32.36 seconds and 1:13.60, respectively. She also swam the anchor leg on the winning 200-yard medley relay team.
The Owls cruised to the victory, winning 14 of the 16 events on the day. PSU was led by junior Emily Wadlinger (Lebanon, N.H.), who captured the 50-yard backstroke in 30.28 seconds and the 100 free in 57.36 seconds.
at PSU Natatorium, Plymouth, N.H. – Saturday, Dec. 10, 2016
Westfield State 161, Plymouth State 110
Records: PSU 3-2; WSU 3-3
* Three other Owls athletes won a pair of individual events.
* Sophomore Alex Frazier (Dracut, Mass.) took the 500- and 1000-yard freestyle races in 5:59.37 and 12:11.88, respectively.
* Sophomore Shannon Fitzsimmons (Andover, Mass.) was the fastest in the 200 free in 2:06.94, and the 100 butterfly in 1:04.41.
* Sophomore Monique Groux (Agawam, Mass.) won the two diving events, scoring 202.85 points on the one-meter board and 206.65 on the three-meter board.
* Other winners for the Owls included senior Anna Boucher (Suffield, Conn.) in the 100 back (1:06.70); sophomore Julia Mazza (Belchertown, Mass.) in the 50 fly (29.09); and Alex Butcher in the 200 I.M. (2:18.76).
* Boucher, Fitzsimmons, Mazza and Pariseau teamed up to win the 200-yard medley relay, and Frazier, junior Ashley Chumbley (Belchertown, Mass.), Mazza and Boucher were winners in the 400 free relay.
* PSU freshman Casey Allaire (Mattapoisett, Mass.) took second place in both diving events, scoring 190.73 on the low board and 204.25 on the high board.
* Two other Panthers also finished runner-up in two events each: sophomore Deanne DeGrazia (Westport, Mass.) in the 200 free (2:16.22) and 500 free (6:11.94); and junior Addie Schumaker (Haymarket, Va.) in the 50 free (27.75) and 100 breast (1:17.10).
* The Panthers will be idle for final exams and the holidays. Their next meet in Saturday, Jan. 7, at Simmons College (11:00 a.m.). The Owls will be off until Saturday, Jan. 21, when the host the University of Saint Joseph (Conn.) at 1:00 p.m.
-- 30 --