Allaire leads Panthers with victories in diving events
BOSTON – Simmons College won 14 of the 16 events Saturday afternoon and defeated Plymouth State University, 222-61, in an intercollegiate women's swimming and diving dual meet at the Holmes Sports Center Natatorium.
The meet was the first competition for the Panthers since the holiday break, and the setback drops the Panthers to 3-3 on the season. The Sharks continued their outstanding season, improving to 7-0 on the campaign.
The Panthers registered both of their victories on the diving board, as freshman Casey Allaire (Mattapoisett, Mass.) continued her outstanding season. She captured the one-meter event with season-high score of 222.20 points, and took the three-meter scoring with 195.55 points.
NCAA Division III Women's Swimming and Diving
at Holmes Sports Center Natatorium., Boston, Mass – Saturday, Jan. 7, 2017
Simmons 222, Plymouth State 61
Records: PSU 3-3; SC 7-0
* Nine different swimmers captured individual events for the home team, who also won both relay races.
* Double-winners for Simmons included freshman Laura List (Bedford, Mass.), junior Natalie Giraldi (Bedford, N.H.), and sophomore Kerry Fleming (Northampton, Mass.)
* List took first in the 50-yard backstroke (31.08 seconds) and 100-yard freestyle (57.29), while Giraldi posted the fastest time in the 50 breaststroke (31.92) and 50 free (26.53) and Fleming touched the wall first in the 500 freestyle (5:32.32) and 200 I.M. (2:22.08).
* Two other Panthers also finished runner-up in an individual event. Junior Alexandra Ambrosino (Holden, Mass.) finished runner-up in the 50 breaststroke (35.27) and sophomore Julia Mazza (Belchertown, Mass.) was second in the 100-yard butterfly.
* The Panthers will be back in the pool next Friday, Jan. 13, at the University of Saint Joseph (Conn.) at 3:30 p.m.
-- 30 --