Panthers take top two spots in final event for come-from-behind win
WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Plymouth State University placed first and second in the 200-yard freestyle relay to slip past the University of Saint Joseph's, 146-141, in a dramatic come-from-behind dual meet win at Bruyette Natatorium Friday night.
The Panthers, who trailed for the first 15 events, needed at least a first and third place finish in the 200-yard freestyle relay, the day's final event, to secure the win. The foursome of freshmen Olivia Jean (Dracut, Mass.) and Casey Allaire (Mattapoisett, Mass.), senior Kelsey Cronan (Framingham, Mass.) and junior Addie Schumaker (Haymarket, Va.) took first in the deciding event, while sophomores Julia Mazza (Belchertown, Mass.), Stephanie LaBeck (Oakville, Conn.), Samantha Labens (Berlin, N.H.) and junior Alexandra Ambrosino (Holden, Mass.) took second, touching the wall a full 15 seconds ahead of the top USJ relay team.
Schumaker and Allaire both finished the day with three first place finishes, while Mazza was the day's top swimmer in two events.
Bruyette Natatorium, West Hartford, Conn. – Fri., Jan. 13, 2017
Plymouth State 146, U. of St. Joe's 141
Plymouth State 4-3; U. of St. Joe's 1-1-1
* Schumaker took first in both the 200-yard freestyle and 500-yard freestyle, while placing second in the 200-yard IM. She also anchored the 200-yard freestyle relay in the final event of the day.
* Allaire won both diving events comfortably. The freshman scored 164.84 points in the 1 meter optional, while totaling 231.75 in the 1 meter voluntary.
* Mazza touched the wall first in the 50- and 100-yard butterfly, and took second in the 100-yard freestyle less than one second behind the winner, sophomore Gabriella Alberino (East Haven, Conn.) of USJ.
* Ambrosino set a new season-best time (35.17) on the way to winning the 50-yard breaststroke. She also set a season mark of 1:15.89 in the 100-yard breaststroke.
* Sophomore Melissa Page (Atkinson, N.H.) also set a new personal record on her way to a second place finish in the 100-yard backstroke in a time of 1:11.79.
* The Panthers wrap up the season with a pair of home dual meets prior to competing in the Little East Conference and NEISDA Championships next month. Plymouth State hosts Western Connecticut State University on Monday (11:00 a.m.) at the PSU Natatorium.
-- 30 --