Mazza, Schumaker pace Panthers to home victory
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Addie Schumaker (Haymarket, Va.) and sophomore Julia Mazza (Belchertown, Mass.) won three individual events each and swam on a winning relay team Monday afternoon to lead Plymouth State University past Western Connecticut State University, 146-107, in an intercollegiate women's swimming and diving dual meet at the PSU Natatorium.
Schumaker was the winner of the 50-yard freestyle in 28.11 seconds, the 200 free in 2:17.85, and the 100-yard individual medley in 1:09.92. Mazza took first place in the 50 butterfly (29.84) and 100 fly (1:08.22) and the 100 free (1:01.90).
The Panthers, who won 13 of the 16 events in the meet, improved to 5-3 on the season with one dual remaining, while Western Conn. drops to 0-4-1 overall.
at PSU Natatorium, Plymouth, N.H. – Monday, Jan. 16, 2017
Plymouth State 146, Western Connecticut 107
Records: PSU 5-3; WCSU 0-4-1
* Two other Panthers won two individual events apiece – junior Alexandra Ambrosino (Holden, Mass.) took the 50 and 100 breaststroke events in 34.94 seconds and 1:19.07, respectively, and freshman Casey Allaire (Mattapoisett, Mass.) captured both diving events, scoring 203.0 points on one meter and a season-best 217.25 on three-meter.
* Allaire received scores of 7 on three different dives on the high board, a forward one-and-a-half pike, a forward two-and-a-half tuck, and an inward one-and-a-half tuck.
* Also winning individual events for PSU were senior Kelsey Cronan (Framingham, Mass.) in the 500 freestyle (season-best 6:24.42); and sophomore Melissa Page (Atkinson, N.H.) in the 100 backstroke (season-best 1:12.44).
* PSU won the final event, the 200 free relay, with the team of Ambrosino, Schumaker, sophomore Stephanie Labeck (Oakville, Conn.) and Mazza.
* Western Connecticut was led by sophomore Rachel Peet (New Fairfield, Conn.) and freshman Olivia Wright (East Hartford, Conn.), who each won an individual race. Peet was the winner of the 1,000 freestyle (12:33.77) and Wright touched the wall first in the 50 backstroke (33.03).
* The Panthers will host UMass Dartmouth this Saturday, Jan. 21, on Senior Day in the final home meet of the season (1:00 p.m.). Western Connecticut travels to Rhode Island College on Saturday for a 1:00 p.m. meet.
-- 30 –-