Gresham, Turell, Allaire solid in Barbeau's first meet
DARTMOUTH, Mass. – Senior Megan Gresham (Waterbury Center, Vt.), sophomore Cammie Turell (Bowie, Md.) and junior Casey Allaire (Mattapoisett, Mass.) all had solid season debuts as the Plymouth State University women's swimming and diving team kicked off the Anne Barbeau era at the Louise Goodrum Invitational at the Tripp Athletic Center on the campus of the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.
The non-scoring meet was the first for the team under new head coach Anne Barbeau, who became the program's fifth coach last June.
Allaire picked up where she left off after a superb sophomore season, sweeping the diving events, while Turell posted a third and sixth place finish. Gresham added three top-15 finishes for the Panthers.
Louise Goodrum Invitational – No Team Scoring
How it Happened:
* Allaire, who finished first in all but one event last winter, soared past the competition. She posted a 235.80 on the one meter board, eclipsing the competition by nearly 70 points, before scoring a 209.35 on the three meter board to outscore the next closest competitor by over 45 points.
* Turell, the Panthers' top swimmer a year ago, started the season off with a pair of impressive performances, taking third in the 50 yard butterfly in 29.17, while taking sixth in the 50 yard freestyle with a time of 26.68.
* Gresham posted three top-15 finishes, taking sixth in the 100 yard butterfly (1:10.77), 12th in the 500 yard freestyle (6:23.42) and 13th in the 100 yard breaststroke (1:23.81).
* Freshman Madelin Svetin (Topsham, Maine) had a solid collegiate debut with a seventh place finish in the 50 yard backstroke (32.46). She added a 12th place finish in the 50 yard butterfly, touching the wall in 30.82.
* Classmate Ellie Wilson (Darnestown, Md.) took 11th in the 100 yard backstroke (1:13.33) and added a 12th place finish in the mixed 1650 yard freestyle in 21:28.03.
* Freshman Jasmine Santiago (Leominster, Mass.) added a 13th place finish in the 100 yard backstroke, finishing in 1:13.54.
* The Panthers' relay teams also had a nice start to the new year.
* Sophomore Sylvie Donnell (Warren, N.H.), Santiago, Gresham and Svetin joined forces to take 11th in the 200 yard freestyle relay in 2:00.01.
* The quartet of Wilson, Santiago, Gresham and Svetin finished 14th in the 200 yard medley relay with a time of 2:15.31.
* The Panthers open the home slate with a dual meet against Colby-Sawyer on Friday (Nov. 9) as part of Salute the Troops weekend. The first event starts at 4:00 p.m.
– 30 –