Panthers secure first career dual meet win for Barbeau
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – The Plymouth State University women's swimming and diving team picked up its first dual meet win of the season, knocking off in-state rival Colby-Sawyer College, 155-117, on Salute the Troops night at the PSU Natatorium on Friday evening.
The win was the first for new Panthers' head coach Anne Barbeau.
Freshman Ellie Wilson (Darnestown, Md.) grabbed three first place finishes, while sophomore Cammie Turell (Bowie, Md.) won two events. Junior Casey Allaire (Mattapoisett, Mass.) also took home a pair of wins in the diving events.
Prior to the meet Plymouth State recognized active and retired service men and women in attendance as part of Salute the Troops weekend. US Air Force veteran Morgan Navarro served as the Panthers' honorary captain and was joined by Sargent Major US Army retired James Goss for the National Anthem.
Plymouth State 155, Colby-Sawyer 117
Plymouth State 1-0
How it Happened:
* Wilson took first in the 1000-yard freestyle, touching the wall in 12:33.23. She was also the first to finish in the 50-yard breaststroke (36.69) and the 100-yard breaststroke (1:19.39).
* Turell continued her strong start with wins in the 100-yard freestyle (1:00.64) and 50-yard butterfly (30.51), while adding a second place finish in the 50-yard freestyle (26.68).
* Allaire posted scores of 230.50 (1-meter diving) and 230.65 (3-meter diving) to sweep the diving events.
* Freshman Madelin Svetin (Topsham, Maine) was the fastest swimmer in the 100-yard IM with a time of 1:11.30.
* Freshman Julia Hollinger (Bow, N.H.) and senior Megan Gresham (Waterbury Center, Vt.) each posted second place finishes. Hollinger finished behind Wilson in the 50-yard breaststroke (41.55), while Gresham took second in the 500-yard freestyle (6:23.43).
* The Panthers' 200-yard medley relay placed second as the foursome of Svetin, Wilson, Turell and sophomore Sylvie Donnell (Warren, N.H.) teamed up for a time of 2:08.86.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"Today was a great confidence booster," said Barbeau.
* The Panthers are back in the pool on Nov. 17 when PSU travels to Western New England University for a double dual meet with Eastern Connecticut State.
* Colby-Sawyer is back in action on Saturday (Nov. 10) for a double dual meet with Maine Maritime.
|The PSU women's swimming and diving team with Honorary Captain Morgan Navarro and James Goss.|
– 30 –