Turell wins 50 Fly; O'Sullivan, Santiago post personal-bests
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – Sophomore Cammie Turell (Bowie, Md.) won the 50 yard butterfly as Plymouth State University faced off against Western New England University and Eastern Connecticut State University in a double dual meet at the Alumni Healthful Living Center Pool on Saturday.
Turell added a pair of third place finishes and swam a key anchor leg of the 200 yard freestyle relay, while freshmen Liz O'Sullivan (Bow, N.H.) and Jasmine Santiago (Leominster, Mass.) posted personal bests for the Panthers.
Plymouth State 34, Western New England 88
Plymouth State, Eastern Connecticut – No Score Provided
How it Happened:
* Turell opened her day with third place finish in the 400 yard IM, posting a time of 5:45.23, before finishing third in the 100 yard freestyle in 1:02.30. She was the first to touch the wall in the 50 yard butterfly, finishing in 28.95 to win by nearly 1.5 seconds.
* Turell capped the day with an impressive anchor swim in the 200 yard freestyle relay. PSU trailed second place Eastern Connecticut by 1.72 seconds when she entered the pool, but Turell made up the difference plus some as PSU edged out the Warriors by 0.04 seconds.
* Freshman Ellie Wilson (Darnestown, Md.) took second in the 50 yard breaststroke in 35.77 and added a third place finish in the 200 yard IM with a time of 2:36.37.
* Classmate Madelin Svetin (Topsham, Maine) took second in the 100 yard backstroke (1:11.29) and third in the 50 yard freestyle (28.75).
* Santiago set a personal best with her time of 1:13.31 to finish fourth in the 100 yard butterfly, while O'Sullivan swam a 36.05 in the 50 yard butterfly to set a new personal standard.
* Svetin, Wilson, Santiago and Donnell joined forces to finish third in the 200 yard medley relay.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"We had some tough competition today," said head coach Anne Barbeau, "but the team really gave their best. They noticed how important turns are. We have been working on them, but have more work ahead."
* Plymouth State welcomes Rhode Island College to the PSU Natatorium in two weeks (Dec. 1) for a 1:00 p.m. dual meet.
– 30 –