Wilson, Turell each win twice for Panthers
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – The Plymouth State University women's swimming and diving team recorded its second home dual meet in as many attempts, topping Rhode Island College by a 114-78 margin Saturday afternoon at the PSU Natatorium.
The Panthers improve to 2-2 in dual meets, while RIC drops to 0-4.
Plymouth State 114, Rhode Island College 78
Plymouth State 2-2
Rhode Island College 0-4
How it Happened:
* Wilson took first in the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 12:35.00 and added a first place finish in the 50-yard breaststroke in 38.54 seconds.
* Turell posted a season-best time of 26.53 to win the 50-yard freestyle, and she added a first place finish in the 100-yard freestyle in 1:01.05.
* Freshman Jasmine Santiago (Leominster, Mass.) was the first to touch the wall in the 200-yard freestyle in 2:18.54, while senior Megan Gresham (Waterbury Center, Vt.) won the 100-yard butterfly after shaving more than three seconds off her previous season best time (1:07.88).
* Freshman Madelin Svetin (Topsham, Maine) set a season best by more than two seconds after posting a time of 1:08.87 to win the 100-yard backstroke. Classmate Alexa Gamache (Bedford, N.H.) set a season record in while finishing second in the 50-yard backstroke in 36.03, and sophomore Sylvie Donnell (Warren, N.H.) took second in the 100-yard freestyle in 1:06.16.
* Freshman Athena Sampalis (West Greenwich, R.I.) had a good meet for the Anchorwomen, taking first in the 50-yard backstroke with a time of 34.83, while also finishing second in the 50-yard freestyle in 29.69.
* PSU took first in the 400-yard medley relay, as Svetin, Gresham, Santiago and Turell teamed up to post a time of 4:15.18.
* The Panthers also posted the best time in the 400-yard freestyle relay. Senior Nicole Bombardier (Duxbury, Mass.), Donnell, senior Stephanie Labeck (Oakville, Conn.) and Wilson joined forces to finish in 4:39.10.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"I think the biggest thing is personal best times," said head coach Anne Barbeau. "That's been something we've been looking forward to and working hard at and today it happened."
* Plymouth State wraps up the fall semester with a dual meet at Westfield State next Saturday (Dec. 8) starting at 1:00 p.m.
* The Anchorwomen are off for final exams and the holiday recess. RIC returns to the pool on Saturday, Jan. 12 at Clark for a 1:00 p.m. dual meet.
– 30 –