Turell, Allaire, Svetin post wins for Panthers
WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Sophomore Cammie Turell (Bowie, Md.), junior Casey Allaire (Mattapoisett, Mass.) and freshman Madelin Svetin (Topsham, Maine) all posted wins for the Plymouth State University women's swimming and diving team, but the Panthers fell to the University of St. Joseph, 164-126, at Bruyette Natatorium on Friday afternoon.
Turell took first in the 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard IM, while also placing second in the 100-yard freestyle, while Allaire swept the diving events. Svetin was the winner in the 200-yard backstroke and added a second place finish in the 50-yard butterfly.
The meet was the Panthers' first competition in nearly a month, as Plymouth State's last meet was on December 8. With the setback PSU falls to 2-4, while the Blue Jays improve to 4-0 in dual meets.
Plymouth State 126, University of St. Joseph 164
Plymouth State (2-4)
University of St. Joseph (4-0)
How it Happened:
* Turell's times in the 50-yard and 100-yard freestyle were both season bests. She posted a winning time of 26.40 in the 50 and touched the wall in 1:00.04 in the 100, finishing just 1.07 off the leader. She won the 100-yard IM in 1:08.36.
* Allaire scored 165.95 in the 1-meter diving to eclipse her closest competition by nearly 30 points, while her 235.30 on the 3-meter board was a season best, more than 70 points better than the second place finisher.
* Svetin was the fastest in the 200-yard backstroke, despite swimming the event for the first time this season, winning with a time of 2:30.77.
* Freshman Ellie Wilson (Darnestown, Md.) earned a second place finish in the mixed 500-yard freestyle (6:11.67) and took third in the 200-yard freestyle (2:17.42).
* Senior Megan Gresham (Waterbury Center, Vt.) posted a second place finish in the mixed 200-yard butterfly with a time of 2:43.17.
* Sophomore Sylvie Donnell (Warren, N.H.) was a third place finisher in the 100-yard freestyle in 1:07.71, while freshman Jasmine Santiago (Leominster, Mass.) finished third in both the mixed 1650-yard freestyle (22:21.97) and 200-yard backstroke (2:37.67).
* Freshman Gabby Rowe (Harpswell, Maine) grabbed third in the 100-yard backstroke (1:26.81) and Hollinger shaved a half-second off her best time with a third place finish in the 50-yard breaststroke in 41.05.
* PSU posted second place finishes in both the 200-yard medley relay and the 200-yard freestyle relay.
* Svetin, Wilson, Turell and Donnell teamed up to swim a 2:07.52 in the medley, more than a second better than the team's previous best time.
* The quartet of Wilson, Santiago, Gresham and Donnell teamed up for a time of 2:02.72 in the freestyle.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"It was a good day, as we are in the midst of winterim," said head coach Anne Barbeau. "Swimmers either stayed the same or improved their times."
* The Panthers head to Maine Maritime Academy for a double dual meet with the Mariners and Western Connecticut State University on Wednesday (Jan. 16) starting at 5:00 p.m.
* The Blue Jays travel to Westfield State University next Saturday (Jan. 19) for a 6:00 p.m. meet.
– 30 –