Turell wins three events as Panthers top Mariners, WestConn
CASTINE, Maine – Sophomore Cammie Turell (Bowie, Md.) won all three of her individual events to lead the Plymouth State University women's swimming and diving team to a sweep of Maine Maritime Academy and Western Connecticut State University in a double dual meet at Bok Pool on Wednesday night.
Turell picked up wins in the 50-yard freestyle, 100-yard freestyle and 50-yard butterfly, while freshman Ellie Wilson (Darnestown, Md.) added wins in the 50-yard breaststroke and 100-yard breaststroke as the Panthers swam past WestConn, 115-82, and the Mariners, 145-46.
With the pair of victories PSU evens its dual meet record at 4-4 on the year. WestConn, which topped the hosts 107-55, moves to 3-2, while Maine Maritime drops to 0-7.
Plymouth State 145, Maine Maritime 46
Plymouth State 115, WestConn 82
Plymouth State (4-4)
Maine Maritime (0-7)
How it Happened:
* Turell finished the 50-yard freestyle in 26.82 seconds, almost two full seconds ahead of her closest competition, and her winning time in the 100-yard freestyle (1:01.53) was more than three seconds better than the runner up.
* Turell was first to touch the wall in the 50-yard butterfly in 29.57, with freshman Madelin Svetin (Topsham, Maine) finishing just behind her to take second in 30.59 seconds.
* Wilson was the fastest in the 50-yard breaststroke in 37.64 seconds, and topped teammate Megan Gresham (Waterbury Center, Vt.) to win the 100-yard breaststroke in 1:22.60. She added a second place finish in the 100-yard IM with a time of 1:14.67.
* Svetin finished first in the 50-yard backstroke with a season best time of 31.80, and took second in the 100-yard backstroke in 1:09.06.
* Gresham coasted to a win in the 100-yard butterfly finishing in 1:11.50, just shy of ten seconds ahead of the next finisher.
* Freshman Jasmine Santiago (Leominster, Mass.) captured the Panthers' eighth first place finish, winning the 500-yard freestyle in 6:21.75 ahead of senior Stephanie Labeck (Oakville, Conn.), who finished second in 6:49.02.
* Freshman Liz O'Sullivan (Bow, N.H.) added a third place finish in the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 1:23.78.
* The Panthers swam well in the relay events, finishing first in the 200-yard freestyle and ending second in the 200-yard medley.
* Svetin, Gresham, Turell and sophomore Sylvie Donnell (Warren, N.H.) teamed up for the win in the freestyle relay with a time of 1:54.82, the fastest for the Panthers this season.
* Santiago, Wilson, Gresham and Donnell joined forces for the second place finish in medley relay, just 0.81 seconds behind the winning time.
* The Panthers host the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth a week from Saturday (Jan. 26) in their final home meet of the year. PSU will celebrate Senior Day during the Breast Cancer Awareness meet, with the first event set for 1:00 p.m.
* Maine Maritime welcomes St. Joseph's College to town on Sunday (Jan. 20) for a 1:00 p.m. dual meet.
* The Colonials face Rhode Island College on Thursday (Jan. 17) in a dual meet at Bryant University, starting at 7:00 p.m.
– 30 –