Panthers top Eastern Conn., Western New England
WILLIMANTIC, Conn. – Junior Cammie Turell (Bowie, Md.) won three events and swam a leg of the winning 200-yard medley relay to lead Plymouth State University to a sweep of Eastern Connecticut State University, 147-107, and Western New England University, 136-119, in a double dual meet at the Sports Center Pool on Saturday.
Turell took first in three sprints, winning the 50-yard backstroke, 50-yard freestyle and 50-yard butterfly. Sophomore Madelin Svetin (Topsham, Maine) and freshman Sophia Holt (Sylvania, Ohio) also won individual events, while the Panthers also took first in the 200-yard medley relay.
Plymouth State picks up its first wins of the season to move to 2-1. Western New England, which topped Eastern Connecticut 142-117, moves to 2-2, while the host Warriors drop to 1-2 on the year.
Plymouth State 147, Eastern Connecticut 107
Plymouth State 136, Western New England 119
Plymouth State (2-1)
Eastern Connecticut (1-2)
Western New England (2-2)
How it Happened:
- Turell cruised in the 50-yard freestyle, posting a time of 26.66 to win by more than two seconds. She was also the fastest in the 50-yard backstroke (32.82) and 50-yard butterfly (29.00).
- Svetin was the first to touch the wall in the 200-yard backstroke in 2:23.41. She also took second in the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 2:36.16 and finished just behind Turell in the 50-yard butterfly in 29.60.
- Holt captured the 200-yard IM with a time of 2:36.17.
- Freshman MacKenzie Brady (Rochester, N.H.) had a strong showing in the 400-yard IM with a second place finish, while Holt and freshman Jessica McGregor (New Boston, N.H.) went three-four in the 200-yard freestyle.
- Sophomore Ellie Wilson (Darnestown, Md.) posted second place finishes in the 50-yard breaststroke (36.65), 200-yard breaststroke (2:51.18) and 500-yard freestyle (6:03.43).
- McGregor added a second place in the 100-yard freestyle in 1:01.47
- PSU got off to a good start as Svetin, Wilson, Turell and McGregor teamed up to win the 200-yard medley relay in 2:04.83.
- McGregor, senior Casey Allaire (Mattapoisett, Mass.), Brady and Holt joined forces in the 200-yard freestyle relay to finish third in 1:58.25.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"It was a close meet, but the girls got tough when they needed to and pulled it off," said head coach Anne Barbeau. "Every point counted."
- Plymouth State opens its home slate on Friday (Nov. 22) with a dual meet against Albertus Magnus at 5:00 p.m.
– 30 –