Panthers take first and third in final event to secure thrilling win
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Plymouth State University finished first and third in the 200-yard freestyle relay to rally past the University of St. Joseph, 140-138, in a women's swimming and diving dual meet at the PSU Natatorium on Friday afternoon.
Entering the meet's final event, USJ held a narrow 134-127 advantage. Needing to post the top time as well as at least a third place finish to complete the comeback, PSU rose to the challenge finishing first and third to capture the victory.
Sophomore Madelin Svetin (Topsham, Maine) won three events, while junior Cammie Turell (Bowie, Md.) won two events and placed second in a third. The two were part of the winning 200-yard freestyle relay. Senior Casey Allaire (Mattapoisett, Mass.) continued her mastery on the board, sweeping the diving events to hand USJ its first dual meet loss of the season. The Panthers were competing for the first time since Dec. 7.
Plymouth State wins its fifth straight meet to improve to 5-1, while the Blue Jays fall to 3-1 on the year.
Plymouth State 140, USJ 138
Plymouth State (5-1)
How it Happened:
- Svetin posted season-best times to win the 50-yard backstroke (30.15) and 100-yard backstroke (1:03.55), while also claiming the top spot in the 100-yard butterfly in 1:08.24.
- Turell was the top finisher in the 50-yard freestyle (26.09) and 50-yard butterfly (28.46), while placing second in the 100-yard IM with a time of 1:07.21.
- It was business as usual for Allaire, who swept the diving for the 21st time in her career. She posted a score of 227.40 on the 1-meter board, and totaled 220.20 at 3-meters.
- Freshman MacKenzie Brady (Rochester, N.H.) earned a first place finish in the 1000-yard freestyle after shaving nearly four full seconds off her season best time to finish in 12:38.12. She also took second in the 500-yard freestyle in 6:13.82.
- Freshman Jessica McGregor (New Boston, N.H.) was the second to touch the wall in the 50-yard breaststroke (37.39) and 100-yard freestyle (1:02.44), while sophomore Ellie Wilson (Darnestown, Md.) took second in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 2:26.41.
- Svetin, McGregor, Wilson and Turell joined forces to capture the key win in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:56.13.
- Junior Sylvie Donnell (Warren, N.H.), sophomores Gabby Rowe (Harpswell, Maine) and Julia Hollinger (Bow, N.H.) and freshman Maddie Gifford (West Ossipee, N.H.) secured the meet with the deciding points after taking third in the 200-yard freestyle in 2:06.23.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"What a great meet," said head coach Anne Barbeau. "It went down to the wire and the team came through under pressure."
- Plymouth State heads to Westfield State for a dual meet next Saturday (Jan. 18) starting at 1:00 p.m.
– 30 –