Turell wins three times for the Panthers
WESTFIELD, Mass. – Junior Cammie Turell (Bowie, Md.) won all three of her individual events and swam the anchor leg of the Panthers' winning 200-yard freestyle relay, but Westfield State University held off Plymouth State University, 144-135, in a women's swimming and diving dual meet at the Ely Pool on Saturday afternoon.
Locked in another close battle, PSU went into the final two events trailing by just five points, 124-119, but the Owls picked up a key win in the 100-yard IM to hold off a Plymouth State rally.
In addition to Turell's heroics, senior Casey Allaire (Mattapoisett, Mass.) swept the diving events once again, while freshman MacKenzie Brady (Rochester, N.H.) and sophomore Madelin Svetin (Topsham, Maine) each added a pair of wins.
The loss snaps Plymouth State's five meet winning streak and drops the Panthers to 5-2 in dual meets, while Westfield State improves to 3-5.
Plymouth State 135, Westfield State 144
Plymouth State (5-2)
Westfield State (3-5)
How it Happened:
- Turell topped the field in the 50-yard freestyle (26.77), 100-yard freestyle (1:00.17) and 50-yard butterfly (29.04).
- Allaire totaled 217.45 points to win the 1-meter diving by more than 29 points, before scoring a 235.35 on the 3-meter board for a 61-point victory.
- Brady shaved nearly three full seconds off her season-best time to top the field in the 200-yard freestyle (2:14.54) and was the first to touch the wall in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 6:01.64.
- Svetin set a season-best while winning the 100-yard butterfly (1:07.54), while also finishing first in the 100-yard backstroke (1:04.39) and taking second in the 100-yard IM (1:10.11).
- Svetin, McGregor, Brady and Turell teamed up for the win in the 200-yard freestyle relay with a season-best time of 1:52.51.
- The Panthers host Maine Maritime in their final home dual meet of the year on Friday (Jan. 24) at 3:00 p.m.
– 30 –