CASTLETON, Vt. - The Plymouth State University women's tennis team came back to win four of the six singles matches Thursday afternoon to pull out a 5-4 victory over Castleton State College in non-conference action.
The Panthers won just one of the three doubles matches, but came back strong in singles to earn their first victory of the season (1-5). The outcome also snapped Castleton's seven-match winning streak and dropped the Spartans to 7-2 overall.
Sophomores Laura Donovan (Acton, Mass.) and Lydia Smith (Marblehead, Mass.) led the Panthers with two wins apiece. After teaming up for an 8-0 victory at No. 2 doubles, Donovan won in straight sets at No. 2 singles while Smith needed three sets to pull out a victory at No. 4 singles. The Panthers clinched the match on singles triumphs by freshman Rachel Figura (Cheshire, Conn.) at No. 3 and junior Buffy Garland (Freedom, N.H.) at No. 6.
Sophomore Michelle Podnecky (Bridgewater, Vt.) led the home team, taking a third-set superbreaker to win at No. 1 singles and teaming up with junior Kate Bucci (Wakefield, R.I.) for a victory at No. 1 doubles. Freshman Chelsea Crehan (Essex, Conn.) was also a double winner for the Spartans, winning in straight sets at No. 5 singles after pairing up with junior Emily Bisson (Berlin, N.H.) for a win at No. 3 doubles.
PSU's next match, Saturday at Salem State, has been postponed. The Panthers will return to the courts on Tuesday, Sept. 29, with a home match against Colby-Sawyer (3:30 p.m.) Castleton looks to get back on the winning track Saturday at home against Thomas College (3:00 p.m.)
Plymouth State 5, Castleton 4
1. Michelle Podnecky (CSC) def. Sara Burke (PSU), 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Laura Donovan (PSU) def. Kate Bucci (CSC), 6-3, 6-4
3. Rachel Figura (PSU) def. Brynn Paraschos (CSC), 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Lydia Smith (PSU) def. Brittni Racine (CSC), 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
5. Chelsea Crehan (CSC) def. Lacey Mailman (PSU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Buffy Garland (PSU) def. Kristen McGinn (CSC), 7-5, 6-2
1. Michelle Podnecky/Kate Bucci (CSC) def. Sara Burke/Rachel Figura (PSU), 8-5
2. Laura Donovan/Lydia Smith (PSU) def. Brittni Racine/Brynn Paraschos (CSC), 8-0
3. Chelsea Crehan/Emily Bisson (CSC) def. Lacey Mailman/Megan Cooper (PSU), 9-8 (7-3)
-- 30 --