PSU Womens Tennis falls to Colby-Sawyer
PLYMOUTH, N.H. - The Colby-Sawyer College women's tennis team improved to 8-1 on the season Tuesday afternoon with a 5-2 victory over Plymouth State University in a non-conference match at PSU's P.E. Center Courts.
The contest featured an outstanding battle at No. 1 singles, where Colby-Sawyer junior Hannah White (Stockbridge, Mass.) outlasted PSU freshman Sara Burke (Barrington, R.I.) in nearly three hours, 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-5). The No. 1 and No. 2 doubles matches were not played due to the length of the White-Burke match at No. 1 singles.
Junior Carolyn Drake (Great River, N.Y.) and sophomore Nikki Humphrey (Little Compton, R.I.) were double winners for the Chargers. They posted victories at No. 5 and No. 6 singles, respectively, and teamed up to win at No. 3 doubles. Sophomore Lauren Turenne (Reading, Mass.) also registered a victory for CSC at No. 4 singles.
The Panthers got their two victories from sophomore Laura Donovan (Acton, Mass.) at No. 2 singles and freshman Rachel Figura (Cheshire, Conn.) at No. 3 singles.
The Panthers, 1-6 overall, will be home again on Saturday, hosting UMass Boston in a Little East Conference match (12:00 p.m.) Colby-Sawyer returns home to host Nichols College on Friday in a Commonwealth Coast Conference encounter (3:30 p.m.)
Colby-Sawyer 5, Plymouth State 2
- Hannah White (CSC) def. Sara Burke (PSU), 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-5)
- Laura Donovan (PSU) def. Claire Toffey (CSC), 7-6 (8-6), 6-0
- Rachel Figura (PSU) def. Brittany Mailman (CSC), 6-4, 6-3
- Lauren Turenne (CSC) def. Lydia Smith (PSU), 6-4, 6-4
- Carolyn Drake (CSC) def. Lacey Mailman (PSU, 6-1, 6-4
- Nikki Humphrey (CSC) def. Buffy Garland (PSU), 2-6, 6-0, 6-1
- Hannah White/Brittany Mailman (CSC) vs. Sara Burke/Rachel Figura (PSU), Did not play
- Claire Toffey/Lauren Turenne (CSC) vs. Laura Donovan/Lydia Smith (PSU), Did not play
- Carolyn Drake/Nikki Humphrey (CSC) def. Lacey Mailman/Karli Kesson (PSU), 8-3
-- 30 --