PLYMOUTH, N.H. - The Plymouth State University women's tennis team swept the six singles matches Saturday afternoon en route to a 7-2 victory over the University of Massachusetts Boston in a Little East Conference match at PSU's P.E. Center Courts.
The Beacons came out strong and took two of the three doubles matches, including winning a tiebreaker at No. 1 doubles, but the Panthers rebounded to sweep the singles. PSU is now 2-6 overall and 1-3 in the Little East, while UMB drops to 2-5 overall and 0-4 in conference play.
Sophomores Laura Donovan (Acton, Mass.) and Lydia Smith (Marblehead, Mass.) were double winners for PSU. They teamed up for an 8-0 victory at No. 2 doubles, and followed with straight-set wins at No. 2 and No. 4 singles, respectively. Freshman Sara Burke (Barrington, R.I.) took the No. 1 singles match for PSU in straight sets, and freshman Rachel Figura (Cheshire, Conn.) and junior Buffy Garland (Freedom, N.H.) did the same at No. 3 and No. 6, respectively. Freshman Lacey Mailman (Freedom, N.H.) needed a third-set super-breaker to pull out her win at No. 5 singles.
The Beacons earned victories from Carolina Gonzalez (Bridgewater, Mass.) and freshman Anitra Kloczewiak (Newton, Mass.) at No. 1 doubles and junior Brittany Engel (Freehold, N.J.) and senior Jillian Hurd (Taunton, Mass.) at No. 3 doubles.
The Panthers play their third straight home match Tuesday with a non-conference encounter against Lyndon State (3:30 p.m.). The Beacons return home to host Rhode Island College in an LEC match Tuesday at 3:00 p.m. at Boston College High School.
Plymouth State 7, UMass Boston 2
- Sara Burke (PSU) def. Anitra Kloczewiak (UMB), 6-4, 6-2
- Laura Donovan (PSU) def. Carolina Gonzalez (UMB), 6-0, 6-3
- Rachel Figura (PSU) def. Abigail Balme (UMB), 7-5, 6-2
- Lydia Smith (PSU) def. Jillian Hurd (UMB), 6-0, 6-1
- Lacey Mailman (PSU) def. Brittany Engel (UMB), 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-6)
- Buffy Garland (PSU) def. Wendy Steinman (UMB), 6-4, 6-2
- Anitra Kloczewiak/Carolina Gonzalez (UMB) def. Sara Burke/Rachel Figura (PSU), 9-8 (7-1)
- Laura Donovan/Lydia Smith (PSU) def. Abigail Balme/Wendy Steinman (UMB), 8-0
- Brittany Engel/Jillian Hurd (UMB) def. Lacey Mailman/Buffy Garland (PSU), 9-7
-- 30 --