PSU Womens Tennis too much for Lyndon State
PLYMOUTH, N.H. - The Plymouth State University women's tennis team swept the three doubles matches and won five of six in singles encounters Tuesday afternoon, defeating Lyndon State College, 8-1, in a non-conference match at PSU's P.E. Center Courts.
The Panthers won their second match in a row and third in their last four, improving to 3-6 overall. Lyndon State dropped its second straight and fell to 5-4 overall.
Five Panthers won two matches apiece in the victory. Freshman Sara Burke (Barrington, R.I.) took the No. 1 singles match without giving up a game after teaming up with classmate Rachel Figura (Cheshire, Conn.) for an 8-3 win at No. 1 doubles. Sophomores Laura Donovan (Acton, Mass.) and Lydia Smith (Marblehead, Mass.) improved their record at No. 2 doubles to 4-1 with an 8-3 victory, and both followed with easy wins at No. 2 and No. 4 singles, respectively. Freshman Lacey Mailman (Freedom, N.H.) and junior Megan Cooper (Camarillo, Calif.) were also easy winners at No. 5 and No. 6 singles after pairing up for an 8-0 victory at No. 3 doubles.
Lyndon State salvaged the final match of the day when freshman Maria Parr (Montpelier, Vt.) won a No. 3 singles match in a third-set superbreaker.
The Panthers play a pair of Little East Conference road matches later this week, traveling to Salem State College for a make-up match on Thursday (3:30 p.m.) and visiting Rhode Island College on Saturday (12:00 p.m.) Lyndon State returns home to host Becker College Saturday at 2:00 p.m.
Plymouth State 8, Lyndon State 1
- Sara Burke (PSU) def. Danielle Jepson (LSC), 6-0, 6-0
- Laura Donovan (PSU) def. Rebecca Irwin (LSC), 6-0, 6-4
- Maria Parr (LSC) def. Rachel Figura (PSU), 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
- Lydia Smith (PSU) def. Amber Hartman (LSC), 6-0, 6-1
- Lacey Mailman (PSU) def. Margaret George (LSC), 6-0, 6-2
- Megan Cooper (PSU) def. Kaitlin Cunningham (LSC), 6-0, 6-1
- Sara Burke/Rachel Figura (PSU) def. Danielle Jepson/Rebecca Irwin (LSC), 8-3
- Laura Donovan/Lydia Smith (PSU) def. Maria Parr/Amber Hartman (LSC), 8-3
- Lacey Mailman/Megan Cooper (PSU) def. Margaret George/Kaitlin Cunningham (LSC), 8-0
-- 30 --