Panthers sweep doubles en route to Little East victory
HOLDERNESS, N.H. – The Plymouth State University women's tennis team swept the three doubles matches Saturday morning and went on to defeat Western Connecticut State University, 7-2, in a Little East Conference match at the Holderness School Courts.
Seniors Zara Jakubas (Califon, N.J.) and Rachel Gustafson (Belchertown, Mass.) and freshman Alex Dunn (Jaffrey, N.H.) were all winners in both doubles and singles to lead the Panther effort. PSU won its third straight conference match to improve to 6-4 overall and 5-2 in the LEC. Western Conn. dropped to 3-8 overall and 0-6 in the Little East.
At Holderness, N.H. – Saturday, Oct. 8, 2016
Plymouth State 7, Western Connecticut 2
PSU 6-4 (5-2 LEC); Western Connecticut 3-8 (0-6 LEC)
* Gustafson teamed with sophomore Irene Ireme (Concord, N.H.) for a victory at No. 2 doubles, and then earned a 6-2, 6-3 victory at No. 5 singles.
* Dunn pulled out a 6-2, 7-5 victory at No. 6 singles after pairing up with junior Megan Wheeler (Manchester, N.H./Central) for a win at No. 3 doubles.
* Junior Megan Wallace (Moultonborough, N.H.) dropped the first set at No. 3 singles but came back to win the next two sets, 6-0, 6-1.
* Junior Carole Allers (Wilton, Conn.) won the No. 2 singles match for Western, 6-3, 7-5.
* Freshman Pooja Dudhedia (Brookfield, Conn.) was a winner for the Colonials at No. 4 singles, 6-3, 6-4.
PSU hosts Castleton, Tuesday, Oct. 11, 3:30 p.m.
WCSU hosts Bard, Friday, Oct. 14, 3:30 p.m.
-- 30 --