Dunn and Wheeler post singles wins for Panthers
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman Alana Wyatt (Worcester, Mass.) won matches at both No. 1 singles and No. 1 doubles Thursday afternoon to lead Franklin Pierce University to a 7-2 victory over Plymouth State University in a non-conference women's tennis match at the ALLWell North Indoor Courts.
The Ravens swept the three doubles encounters, although the scores were 8-6 in the second flight and 9-7 in the third flight. Four of the six singles matches split the first two sets, with each school winning a third-set superbreaker. The team decision was much closer than the final score might indicate.
PSU is now 7-5 overall while FPU closes out its fall season at 4-10.
At ALLWell North Indoor Courts, Plymouth, N.H. – Thursday, Oct. 13, 2016
Franklin Pierce 7, Plymouth State 2
PSU 7-5; Franklin Pierce 4-10
* Freshman Alex Dunn (Jaffrey, N.H.) came back from a 7-5 defeat in the first set at No. 5 singles to win the second set, 6-2, and outlasted her opponent in the superbreaker, 12-10.
* Sophomore Megan Wheeler (Manchester, N.H./Central) also bounced back from a first-set loss (6-4) at No. 6 singles to win the second set, 6-3, and the superbreaker, 10-8.
* Dunn and Gustafson are tied for the team lead in singles wins this year, Dunn at 7-3 and Gustafson at 7-5.
* Wyatt and junior Sonia Rodrigues (Swansea, Mass.) won at first and second singles, respectively, after teaming for a win at first doubles.
* Senior Kara Brazel (Glastonbury, Conn.) was also a double-winner, taking her match at No. 3 singles and pairing up with junior Maria Quagliano (Branford, Conn.) for a win at No. 2 doubles.
* Freshman Sarah Rich (Windham, Maine) went the distance to pick up two wins, pulling out a third-set superbreaker at No. 4 singles after a 9-7 decision with Kelly O'Donnell (Maywood, N.J.) at No. 3 doubles.
PSU hosts Rhode Island College at Holderness School Courts, Saturday, Oct. 15, 1:00 p.m. (Regular season finale, and Senior Day)
FPU – Fall season complete
-- 30 --