Panthers roar past Spartans in non-conference match
RUTLAND, Vt. – The Plymouth State University women's tennis team topped Castleton University, 7-2, in a non-conference match at the Grand Slam Tennis Arena. The win pushes PSU to a 2-1 mark, while Castleton falls to an even 2-2.
Freshman Chloe Knapp (Jamestown, N.Y.) was impressive yet again for the Panthers, as the rookie won at number four singles (6-2, 6-0) after teaming up with classmate Jenna Sundquist (Monument Beach, Mass.) to win at number two doubles, 8-6. Knapp is now a perfect 5-0 on the year.
Junior Alex Dunn (Jaffrey, N.H.) also won twice for PSU, posting a 6-2, 6-0 win over sophomore Alexis Curley (Greenwich, N.Y.) at number five singles after pairing with junior Kelley Corson (Exeter, N.H.) to win 8-0 at number three doubles.
The Panthers have alternated wins and losses in their first three matches, but will look to put together a winning streak when they open Little East Conference (LEC) play at Rhode Island College on Saturday (Sept. 9) at 1:00 p.m.
- Ciara Bannister / Kirsten Kruk (CAS) def. Maggie McCarthy / Kerstin Venincasa (PSU), 8-4
- Chloe Knapp / Jenna Sundquist (PSU) def. Megan Nadler / Danarose Weaver (CAS), 8-6
- Alex Dunn / Kelley Corson (PSU) def. Lauren Reck / Alexis Curley (CAS), 8-0
- Maggie McCarthy (PSU) def. Ciara Bannister (CAS), 6-1, 6-1
- Megan Nadler (CAS) def. Kerstin Venincasa (PSU), 6-2, 6-0
- Jenna Sundquist (PSU) def. Kirsten Kruk (CAS), 6-4, 6-1
- Chloe Knapp (PSU) def. Danarose Weaver (CAS), 6-2, 6-0
- Alex Dunn (PSU) def. Alexis Curley (CAS), 6-2, 6-0
- Lily O'Connor (PSU) def. Lauren Reck (CAS), 6-0, 6-1
– 30 –