Winter wins twice for the Panthers
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – The Plymouth State University women's tennis team dropped its first match of the season Saturday afternoon at the Holderness School Tennis Courts, suffering a 7-2 setback at the hands of Little East Conference (LEC) rival Rhode Island College.
Plymouth State sophomore Sage Winter (New Castle, N.H.) had a hand in both of PSU's points, winning at No. 1 singles in straight sets after teaming up with classmate Maggie McCarthy (Marion, Mass.) for an 8-5 win at No. 1 doubles.
RIC, the preseason favorite to repeat as LEC champions, improves to 3-0 (1-0 LEC), while the Panthers drop to 2-1 (1-1 LEC).
Plymouth State 2, Rhode Island College 7
Plymouth State 2-1, 1-1 LEC
Rhode Island College, 3-0, 1-0 LEC
How it Happened:
* After falling behind 2-0, PSU was able to secure one point in doubles play when Winter and McCarthy combined to best the top RIC pairs team by an 8-5 score.
* RIC secured the win with straight set wins at No. 3, No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 singles.
* McCarthy battled at No. 2 singles, ultimately falling to sophomore Victoria Vittori (New Bedford, Mass.) 6-2, 2-6, 6-0.
* Winter was the only singles winner for PSU, earning a straight sets (6-4, 6-4) win in the last match of the day.
Inside the Numbers:
* RIC has been in the Little East championship match four of the last five years, winning the title last fall. The Anchorwomen have gone 38-3 in LEC regular season contests dating back to the start of 2013.
* After today's match RIC leads the all-time series 15-7. The Panthers last win over the Anchorwomen came in the finals of the 2014 LEC Tournament to secure the program's second NCAA Tournament appearance.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"RIC is a strong team and today was a good measuring stick for us," said head coach Barbara Rawlsky-Willett. "We'll get back to work to prepare for Monday."
* Plymouth State continues its home stand on Monday (Sept. 10, 4:00 p.m.) against Division II St. Anselm College. Should rain force the match indoors, it will be played in the Bank of New Hampshire Field House in the ALLWell North facility.
* Rhode Island College hosts Salve Regina on Monday (Sept. 10) at 3:30 p.m.
– 30 –