Wheeler's comeback victory seals Panthers' victory
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Senior Megan Wheeler (Manchester, N.H.) stormed back from a 4-1 second set deficit to earn a 6-2, 7-5 win at No. 6 singles to give Plymouth State University a 5-4 victory over Salem State University in Little East Conference (LEC) women's tennis action at The Central Campus Tennis Courts on Saturday afternoon.
The Panthers took two-of-three doubles matches to go up 2-1 in the early stages, but it all came down to Wheeler and senior Kristin Klimowicz (Ipswich, Mass.) in the final match of the day. After taking the first set, Wheeler fell behind 4-1 in set two giving the Vikings hope of a deciding third set, but Wheeler rallied to win six of seven games for the 7-5 victory and the deciding point
With the win the Panthers improve to 3-2 (2-1 LEC), while Salem State dips to 1-2 (0-1 LEC).
Plymouth State 5, Salem State 4
Plymouth State 3-2, 2-1 LEC
Salem State 1-2, 0-1 LEC
How it Happened:
* Venincasa continued her strong start to the season with a quick, 6-0, 6-3 win at No. 5 singles.
* The Vikings rallied for wins at No. 1 and No. 2 singles to even the match at 3-3, but senior Irene Kigugu (Concord, N.H.) put PSU back in front with a hard-fought 7-5, 6-1 win at No. 3.
* Sophomore Caroline Robitailli (South Hadley, Mass.) pulled Salem back even at 4-4 with a win at No. 4, setting up the deciding showdown between Wheeler and Klimowicz.
Inside the Numbers:
* Winter and McCarthy improved to 4-1 in doubles play on the year, and a perfect 3-0 in LEC contests.
* The Panthers improve to 22-8 all-time against Salem State. PSU has won the last seven meetings between the two teams.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"Facing a 4-1 deficit in the second set, Megan [Wheeler] came back to win the match for us," said head coach Barbara Rawlsky-Willett. "Kerstin [Venincasa] took care of business and Irene [Kigugu] played a great first set. All of our doubles pairs played tough today."
* The Panthers are back on the courts on Thursday (Sept. 20) for a non-conference match with Northern Vermont University-Lyndon. The match is set to begin at 3:30 p.m.
* Salem State travels to Western Connecticut State on Tuesday (Sept. 18) for an LEC match-up with the Colonials. First serve is set for 3:30 p.m.
– 30 –