Panthers' depth leads to Little East victory
DANBURY, Conn. – The Plymouth State University women's tennis team showed off its depth in a 6-3 win over Western Connecticut State University in a Little East Conference (LEC) match on Saturday afternoon.
Seniors Irene Kigugu (Concord, N.H.) and Megan Wheeler (Manchester, N.H.) and sophomores Jenna Sundquist (Monument Beach, Mass.) and Kerstin Venincasa (Sutton, Mass.) all won twice for the Panthers to spoil WestConn's Senior Day celebration.
With a fifth straight win Plymouth State improves to 7-2 and 4-1 in Little East play, while the Colonials drop to 1-6 and 1-3 in league action.
Plymouth State 6, WestConn 3
Plymouth State 7-2, 4-1 LEC
WestConn 1-6, 1-3 LEC
How it Happened:
* Plymouth State picked up an early point when Sundquist and Venincasa cruised to an 8-0 win at No. 3 doubles.
* WestConn answered with a point at No. 1, but Kigugu and Wheeler were able to hold off their competition at No. 2 for an 8-6 win.
* Venincasa improved to 2-0 on the day with a smooth 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 5 singles and Wheeler followed with a similar 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 6 as PSU pulled ahead 4-1.
* Kigugu wrapped up the win for the Panthers with a 6-0, 6-3 win at No. 3 and Sundquist accounted for the final point with an easy 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 4.
Inside the Numbers:
* Sundquist and Venincasa improved to 5-2 as a pair.
* Plymouth State, as a team, has gone 10-5 in Little East doubles matches.
* Venincasa and Wheeler share the team lead with four LEC singles wins, as both have gone 4-1 in league play.
* Venincasa's six overall wins leads the team, while Wheeler and Sundquist are right behind her with five singles wins apiece.
* The Panthers are 12-6 against WestConn since they first met in the 2003 season. Plymouth State has won each of the last eight meetings.
* The Panthers wrap up a three match road trip with a Little East contest at Castleton on Tuesday (Oct. 2). First serve is set for 4:00 p.m.
* WestConn hosts UMass Dartmouth for an LEC match on Sunday (Sept. 30) starting at 1:00 p.m.
– 30 –