Sundquist, Venincasa continue dominance for Panthers
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomores Jenna Sundquist (Monument Beach, Mass.) and Kerstin Venincasa (Sutton, Mass.) continued their strong play to help lead Plymouth State University to a 6-3 win over Worcester State University in a Little East Conference (LEC) tennis match at the Holderness School Tennis Courts on Saturday afternoon.
The Panthers took two of three doubles matches to go up 2-1 in the early stages of the afternoon. Plymouth State then won the first four singles matches to secure a seventh straight win.
PSU improves to 9-2 (6-1 LEC), while Worcester State dips to 5-6 and 4-3 in league matches.
Plymouth State 6, Worcester State 3
Plymouth State 9-2, 6-1 LEC
Worcester State 5-6, 4-3 LEC
How it Happened:
* Sundquist and Venincasa continued their strong pairs play to top their opponents by an 8-1 score at No. 3 doubles to start the day.
* Sophomore Emma Collings (Marion, Mass.) and freshman Charlotte Mullane (Sterling, Mass.) came back with an 8-4 win at No. 2 doubles to earn the Lancers' first point.
* Plymouth State cruised through the early stages of singles play. McCarthy (6-2, 6-2), Sundquist (6-3, 6-3) and senior Megan Wheeler (Manchester, N.H.) each posted straight sets wins to secure the match. After taking the first set 6-4, Wheeler had to battle back in set two, overcoming an early deficit to earn a 7-5 win.
* Venincasa dropped her first set, 2-6, but rallied two take the next two (6-2, 6-0) at No. 5.
* Worcester State got wins from their No. 1, sophomore Dominique Alves (Ludlow, Mass.), and Mullane at No. 3 to account for the final score.
Inside the Numbers:
* Venincasa is a team-best 8-2 in singles play, while she and Wheeler are tied for the team lead with 6-1 singles marks in LEC play.
* Venincasa and Sundquist both extended their singles winning streaks to six straight matches.
* Winter and McCarthy improved to 6-1 in LEC doubles action.
* Plymouth State and Worcester State have met in the LEC Tournament each of the last three years. PSU earned a 5-0 win in 2015, but the Lancers grabbed 5-1 and 5-2 wins in 2016 and 2017.
* The Panthers improve to 8-4 all-time against Worcester State.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"Doubles was played very well today," said head coach Barbara Rawlsky-Willett. "We had to fight for every point in singles. We stayed in every point as long as we could until an opportunity came when we could put it away."
* Plymouth State goes on the road to face LEC foe Southern Maine on Wednesday (Oct. 10) at 4:00 p.m.
* Worcester State heads to Clark University on Tuesday (Oct. 9) for a 4:00 p.m. non-conference match.
– 30 –