Panthers assured of at least two seed after eighth straight win
GORHAM, Maine – The Plymouth State University women's tennis team coasted to a 9-0 victory over the University of Southern Maine in a Little East Conference (LEC) match at the Gorham High School courts on Wednesday afternoon.
The Panthers earned their fourth shutout of the season and second in the last three matches, while extending their winning streak to eight straight games.
With the win, PSU guarantees itself at least the No. 2 seed for the upcoming LEC Tournament, while reaching 10 wins for the second straight year. The Panthers improve to 10-2 (6-1 LEC), while Southern Maine falls to 6-5 and 4-4 in conference action.
Plymouth State 9, Southern Maine 0
Plymouth State 10-2, 7-1 LEC
Southern Maine 6-5, 4-4 LEC
How it Happened:
* Sophomores Jenna Sundquist (Monument Beach, Mass.) and Venincasa teamed up for an easy 8-0 win at No. 3 doubles to give Plymouth the early 1-0 lead.
* Shortly after, classmates Sage Winter (New Castle, N.H.) and Maggie McCarthy (Marion, Mass.) took the win at No. 1, 8-4, and seniors Irene Kigugu (Concord, N.H.) and Megan Wheeler (Manchester, N.H.) also earned an 8-4 win.
* Sundquist and Winter each made quick work of their opponents in singles play. Sundquist picked up a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 4, while Winter took No. 1 singles 6-0, 6-1.
* After dropping the second set, McCarthy came storming back to win her match (6-1, 2-6, 10-7).
* Kigugu won her match at No. 3 singles, 6-2, 6-3, while Venincasa (No. 5) and Wheeler (No. 6) rolled to 6-2, 6-3 and 6-0, 6-2 wins.
Inside the Numbers:
* Plymouth State reached ten wins for the second straight year and just the fourth time in the 51-year history of the program. It is the first time the program has posted back-to-back double-digit win totals.
* Sundquist and Venincasa have each won seven straight singles matches, while Wheeler has won six in a row.
* Venincasa and Wheeler are both 7-1 in conference singles matches.
* McCarthy, Sundquist and Winter are all 7-1 in LEC doubles action, while McCarthy and Sundquist have both posted 10-2 overall pairs marks.
* Plymouth State has gone 20-5 against the Huskies dating back to the 1986 season and has won each of the last 15 meetings.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"Everyone held up well despite the warm weather," said head coach Barbara Rawlsky-Willett. "The team took care of business and we are working hard in preparation for our last match against Bridgewater State this Saturday."
* Plymouth State wraps up the regular season with a Senior Day match against LEC foe Bridgewater State on Saturday (Oct. 13). The festivities begin at 1:00 p.m. at the Holderness School Tennis Courts.
* The Huskies close out their season at Rhode Island College on Saturday (Oct. 13), with first serve set for 1:00 p.m.
– 30 –