Panthers roll in LEC victory
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Juniors Kerstin Venincasa (Sutton, Mass.) and Jenna Sundquist (Monument Beach, Mass.) and freshman Megan Marshall (Dartmouth, Mass.) each won their respective singles matches without dropping a game to lead Plymouth State University to a 9-0 win over the University of Southern Maine in a Little East Conference (LEC) women's tennis match at the Bank of New Hampshire Field House at ALLWell North on Wednesday.
Plymouth State got back to its strong doubles play on the way to picking up three quick points, sweeping pairs play with three 8-1 victories. The Panthers overpowered USM in singles play, never surrendering more than two games, to earn the win.
PSU improves to 7-4 overall and 4-2 in the Little East, while Southern Maine falls to 1-8 and 0-6 in league play.
Plymouth State 9, Southern Maine 0
Plymouth State (7-4, 4-2 LEC)
Southern Maine (1-8, 0-6 LEC)
How it Happened.
- Junior Maggie McCarthy (Marion, Mass.) and Marshall picked up a quick 8-1 win at No. 1 doubles, while Sundquist and Venincasa took No. 2 doubles by the same score.
- The freshman team of Kira Winter (Eliot, Maine) and Hanna Street (New Castle, N.H.) completed the doubles sweep with an 8-1 win at No. 3.
- Marshall (No. 3), Venincasa (No. 4) and Sundquist (No. 6) all rolled to 6-0, 6-0 wins, while Street dropped just one game in a 6-1, 6-0 victory at No. 5.
- Winter took No. 2 singles by identical 6-1, 6-1 scores.
- McCarthy faced the biggest challenge at No. 1, but was always in control on the way to a 6-1, 6-2 win.
Inside the Numbers:
- Street continues to impress in singles play improving to 9-1 overall and 5-0 in Little East Conference matches.
- Sundquist and Venincasa improved to 20-4 all-time as doubles partners.
- PSU has won each of the last ten match-ups with the Huskies.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"We had great, solid play at both singles and doubles today," praised head coach Barbara Rawlsky-Willett.
- PSU heads to WestConn for a key Little East match-up on Saturday (Oct. 5) starting at 1:00 p.m.
– 30 –