Panthers win five of six singles matches in key LEC win
DANBURY, Conn. – Plymouth State University won five of six singles matches on the way to a 7-2 win over Western Connecticut State University in a key Little East Conference (LEC) women's tennis match at Westside Courts on Saturday afternoon.
Juniors Kerstin Venincasa (Sutton, Mass.) and Jenna Sundquist (Monument Beach, Mass.) and freshmen Kira Winter (Eliot, Maine) and Hanna Street (New Castle, N.H.) each won twice to spark the Panthers to a second straight win as PSU jockeys for postseason positioning.
PSU improves to 8-4 overall and 5-2 in the LEC, while the Colonials fall to 5-6 and 3-3 in league play. Plymouth is currently tied for third with Worcester State in the conference standings, as the top two teams earn first round byes and the third and fourth seeds host opening round matches in the LEC Tournament.
Plymouth State 7, WestConn 2
Plymouth State (8-4, 5-2 LEC)
WestConn (5-6, 3-3 LEC)
How it Happened:
- Venincasa and Sundquist rolled to an 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles, while Winter and Street held off their opponents by an 8-7 (9-7) margin.
- WestConn picked up points at No. 1 doubles and No. 1 singles, but the Panthers wouldn't drop another match en route to the win.
- Winter earned a 6-1, 1-6, 6-1 win at No. 2 singles, while freshman Megan Marshall (Dartmouth, Mass.) posted a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 3.
- Venincasa held off her opponent at No. 4 by a 6-4, 6-1 margin, with Street (6-0, 6-1) and Sundquist (6-2, 6-0) coasting to wins at No. 5 and No. 6.
Inside the Numbers:
- Street and Venincasa have each won each of their last three singles matches.
- Street stands at 10-1 on the year, while Venincasa is 8-2 in singles play.
- Sundquist and Venincasa improved to a team-best 9-2 in doubles action. The duo have won three straight doubles matches.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"It was a key win for us today as we are getting close to tournament time," said head coach Barbara Rawlsky-Willett. "We had standout play from Kira [Winter], who beat a really good player in three sets."
- Plymouth State travels to Rhode Island College on Tuesday (Oct. 8) at 3:30 p.m. in a rematch of last year's LEC championship match.
– 30 –