Panthers finish seventh in Little East and 11th in Alliance
GORHAM, Maine – Sophomore Selena Baillargeon (Saranac Lake, N.Y.) captured the Little East Conference championship in the shot put Saturday to lead the Plymouth State University women at the LEC and New England Alliance Indoor Track & Field Championships at the Costello Sports Complex field house, hosted by the University of Southern Maine.
Baillargeon recorded a career-best and PSU indoor shot put school record of 12.12 meters (39'9.25"), finishing second in the Alliance and first in the LEC. Her mark is the ninth-best effort in New England this season. Sydney Bennet of Bridgewater State University won the Alliance title with a mark of 12.76 meters (41'10.5"). Baillargeon was also 15th in the Alliance and eighth in the LEC in the weight throw (11.21 meters, 36'9.5").
Host Southern Maine captured both the New England Alliance and the Little East Conference team championships. The Panthers were seventh in the seven-team LEC scoring and 11th in the 11-team Alliance scoring, the same spots from last year in both championships.
NCAA Division III Women's Indoor Track & Field
Little East Conference Championships & New England Alliance Championships
at USM Costello Sports Complex Field House, Gorham, Maine – Saturday, Feb. 11, 2017
LEC Team Scores: Southern Maine 200, Rhode Island College 100, Keene State 79, UMass Boston 69, Eastern Connecticut 72.5, UMass Dartmouth 50.5, Plymouth State 17
Alliance Team Scores: Southern Maine 152.5, Bridgewater State 129.5, Westfield State 102, Rhode Island College 79, Keene State 70, UMass Boston 62, Eastern Connecticut 42, UMass Dartmouth 40, Fitchburg State 27, Worcester State 25, Plymouth State 12
MORE PSU HIGHLIGHTS
* Junior Rileigh Goulette (Saint Albans, Vt.) had PSU's top performance on the track, placing seventh in the Alliance and sixth among LEC runners in the 1000 meters. She ran a season-best time of 3:13.24, lowering her own school record in the process.
* Sophomore Nora Robichaud (Hampstead, N.H.) and freshman Eve Bagley (Holliston, Mass.) recorded 12th-place finishes in the Alliance in their events in school-record breaking times. Robichaud was 12th overall and sixth in the LEC in the 400 meters, lowering her school mark with a time of 1:05.29, while Bagley was 12th overall and eighth in the LEC in the 600 meters, bettering her school standard with a time of 1:48.24.
* Sophomore Ashley Bergeron (Berlin, N.H.) also improved on her school record in the 3000 meters. She placed 14th overall and eighth in the LEC with a time of 11:41.23.
* Sophomore Diana Perez (Cranston, R.I.) placed 11th overall and seventh in the Little East in the long jump with a mark of 4.78 meters (15'8.25"). Classmate Kayla Gould (Orford, N.H.) placed 14th in the Alliance and ninth in the Little East in the pole vault, improving on her school record with a mark of 2.45 meters (8'0.5").
* The Panthers will send their top student-athletes to next Saturday's New England Division III Championships, hosted by Tufts University, beginning at 10:00 a.m.
-- 30 --