Baillargeon and Perez lead Panthers in regional meet
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Sophomores Selena Baillargeon (Saranac Lake, N.Y.) and Diana Perez (Cranston, R.I.) posted the top finishes for Plymouth State University Saturday at the New England Division III Women's Indoor Track & Field Championships, hosted by MIT at the Shobrys and Aronson Indoor Track.
Baillargeon finished in 10th place in her specialty, the shot put, with a mark of 11.56 meters (37'11.5"). Her performance was nearly two feet shy of her career-best and PSU indoor school record of 12.12 meters (39'9.25"), set last week when she captured the Little East Conference championship.
Perez captured 12th place in the long jump with a leap of 5.11 meters (16'9.25"), establishing a personal best and extending her own school record. Her mark was nearly three inches further than the standard set she back in December.
Host MIT won its third straight New England Division III Indoor Championship.
NCAA Division III Women's Indoor Track & Field
New England Division III Indoor Championships, at MIT, Cambridge, Mass.
Saturday, Feb. 18, 2017
PSU – No points recoded
MORE PSU HIGHLIGHTS
* PSU had an entry in three of the four relay races, posting season-best times in two of the three.
* The Panthers' 4x200 contingent of Perez, sophomores Allbanie Anderson (Somersworth, N.H.) and Amanda Bomely (Middletown, Conn.) and freshman Gabrielle Robins (Plymouth, N.H.) placed 16th in a season-best time of 1:54.67.
* The group of junior Rileigh Goulette (Saint Albans, Vt.), freshman Eve Bagley (Holliston, Mass.), and sophomores Isabella Mongillo (Hamden, Conn.) and Haley Dennis (Coventry, R.I.) placed 20th in a school-record time of 10:39.80
* Plymouth State is in just its second year as a varsity sport.
* The Panthers will send a select group of athletes to Tufts University on Saturday, March 4, for the Last Chance Qualifier.
-- 30 --