Numerous Little East qualifying standards posted by Panthers
AMHERST, Mass. – Sophomore Selena Baillargeon (Saranac Lake, N.Y.) reached Little East Conference qualifying standards in three field events Saturday as the Plymouth State University women's track & field team opened the 2017 outdoor season with a ninth place finish at the Amherst College Spring Fling.
Baillargeon recorded two fifth-place finishes and one sixth place on her busy afternoon, reaching the LEC qualifying marks in all three events. She was fifth in the hammer throw (36.02m/118'2") and shot put (10.91m/35'9.5") and sixth in the discus (30.19m/99'0"). Her mark in the shot put is ranked 18th in New England this spring.
Baillargeon was one of 10 Panthers who reached LEC Championships qualifying standards. The top individual placers were sophomore Nora Robichaud (Hampstead, N.H.), who was fourth in the 400 meter hurdles (1:11.19), and junior Jillian Edwards (Exeter, N.H.), who was fourth in the shot put (11.03m/36'2.25").
PSU finished fifth in the team standings, behing WPI, Trinity, Wheaton (Mass.), Amherst, Connecticut College, Williams, Brandeis, and Wesleyan, and ahead of Middlebury.
NCAA Women's Track & Field
Amherst College Spring Fling, at Lehrman Stadium, Amherst, Mass. – Saturday, Apr. 8, 2017
Team Scores: WPI 97.5, Triity 60, Wheaton (Mass.) 54.5, Amherst 53.5, Conn. College 53, Williams 38, Brandeis 26, Wesleyan 19.5, Plymouth State 18, Middlebury 13
MORE PSU HIGHLIGHTS
* Sophomore Jess Conant (Canton, Maine) had a strong performance in the 400 meters, placing eighth in a career best time of 1:05.90, which meets the LEC qualifying standard.
* Junior Rileigh Goulette (Saint Albans, Vt.) and sophomore Haley Dennis (Coventry, R.I.) posted LEC qualifying times in the 1500 meters, Goulette finishing in 5:16.66 and Dennis in 5:22.74. Both were just a couple seconds off their life-time bests despite high winds that slowed distance runners down by 5-15 seconds, according to PSU head coach John Ostler.
* Sophomore Ashley Bergeron (Berlin, N.H.) also reached the LEC qualifying mark in the 3000m steeplechase, finishing ninth in a time of 13:11.58.
* Sophomore Kayla Gould (Orford, N.H.) posted a Little East qualifying mark in the pole vault with a mark of 2.30m (7'6.5"), and freshman Erika Lillis (Merimack, N.H.) did the same in the javelin with a throw of 26.5m (86'11").
* PSU's top relay performance came in the 4x400, with the contingent of sophomores Allbanie Anderson (Somersworth, N.H.), Conant, and Robichaud and freshman Rebecca Khimatian (Cumberland, R.I.) finishing fifth in 4:25.69.
* The Panthers continue the outdoor season next Saturday (Apr. 15) at the annual Eric Loeschner Memorial meet, hosted by Fitchburg State University (10 a.m.)
-- 30 --