Perez, Bergeron post top performances for Panthers
FITCHBURG, Mass. – The Plymouth State University women's track & field team took fourth place out of 17 teams Saturday afternoon at Fitchburg State University's Eric Loeschner Memorial Meet at Elliott Field.
Worcester State University captured the team title with 167.5 points, while Colby-Sawyer College was runner-up with 88 points. Host Fitchburg State took third with 69 points, just ahead of PSU (66), with Castleton (62.5) rounding out the top five.
The Panthers were led by a pair of sophomores who won individual events – Diana Perez (Cranston, R.I.) in the long jump in a New England Division III Championships qualifying mark and Ashley Bergeron (Berlin, N.H.) in the 3000 meter steeplechase.
NCAA Women's Track & Field
Fitchburg State/Eric Loeschner Inv. Fitchburg, Mass. – Saturday, Apr. 15, 2017
Top 10 Team Scores: Worcester State 167.5; Colby-Sawyer 88; Fitchburg State 69; Plymouth State 66; Castleton 62.5; Regis 51; UMaine Farmington 50.5; Univ. of New England 45; St. Joseph's (Maine) 24; Boston-North 16
* Perez recorded a career-best mark of 5.15 meters (16'10.75") in the long jump, qualifying her for the New England Division III Championships. Her mark is the 21st-best mark in New England this spring.
* Bergeron won the steeplechase in a time of 12:52.52, dropping 19 seconds off her time from a week ago.
* Sophomore Nora Robichaud (Hampstead, N.H.) was third in the 400 meter hurdles but was the top collegiate finisher in a career-best time of 1:09.82, which is less than a second off the New England qualifying time.
* Other top PSU individual track performances featured sophomore Haley Dennis (Coventry, R.I.), who was third in the 5000 meters in a Little East Conference qualifying time of 19:50.47; and junior Rileigh Goulette (Saint Albans, Vt.), who finished sixth in the 800 meters in a career-best and Little East Conference qualifying time of 2:28.92.
* Other top field event performances by the Panthers included sophomore Selena Baillargeon (Saranac Lake, N.Y.), who took third place in the shot put with a season-best 11.73 meters (38'6"), fifth in the hammer throw (39.89m/130'10") and eighth in the javelin (30.95m/101'6"); and freshman Erika Lillis (Merimack, N.H.), who took fifth in the javelin with a throw of 32.74m (107'5").
*The Panthers captured first place in the 4x400 meter relay, with the team of sophomore Jess Conant (Canton, Maine), freshman Eve Bagley (Holliston, Mass.), Robichaud and sophomore Allbanie Anderson (Somersworth, N.H.) finishing in a time of 4:23.13.
* The Panthers have their final meet before the Little East Conference Championships next Saturday (Apr. 22) at the MIT Sean Collier Invitational, beginning at 10:30 a.m.
-- 30 --