Wescott wins 100m hurdles; Conant, Geyselaers break school records
FITCHBURG, Mass. – Freshman Hannah Wescott (St. Johnsbury, Vt.) captured the individual title in the 100-meter hurdles and senior Jess Conant (Canton, Maine) and freshman Emily Geyselaers (Cornwall Bridge, Conn.) established school records as the Plymouth State University women's outdoor track & field team posted a program-best finish at the Little East Conference (LEC) and New England Alliance (NEA) Championships at Fitchburg State University on Saturday.
Wescott was the top LEC finisher in both the preliminaries and finals of the 100m hurdles, while Conant topped her own mark in the 400m dash and Geyselaers bested the school record in the triple jump by more than 1.30 meters.
Plymouth State earned 58 points, a new program best, to finish fifth – the highest finish at outdoor championships in program history.
LEC Outdoor Track & Field Championships – 5th of 8 Teams
How it Happened:
* Wescott cruised to a first place finish in the 100m hurdles after posting a 15.94 time in the preliminaries. She followed up with a 16.31 in the finals to claim the LEC crown. The rookie also finished second in the high jump after clearing 1.55 meters and grabbed a third place finish in the pole vault, topping out at 2.65 meters.
* Conant nipped her previous mark in the 400m dash by 0.30 seconds, crossing the line in 1:01.66 to finish fifth.
* Geyselaers established a new program best in the triple jump with a leap of 10.72 meters, topping the previous record by 1.37 meters, to finish third. Her leap of 5.09 meters in the long jump was good enough for fifth.
* Senior Diana Perez (Cranston, R.I.) took third in the long jump (5.20 meters) and added a fifth-place finish in the high jump (1.50 meters).
* Freshman Kim Bowles (Wonalancet, N.H.) took fourth in the 5,000m run after finishing in 19:37.69.
* Senior Nora Robichaud (Hampstead, N.H.) finished fourth in the 400m hurdles with a time of 1:09.85. She also earned a sixth place finish in the pole vault after clearing 2.50 meters.
* Robichaud and Conant joined forces with juniors Eve Bagley (Holliston, Mass.) and Rebecca Khimatian (Cumberland, R.I.) to place fifth in the 4x400m relay. The quartet teamed up to finish in 4:27.78.
* Freshman Paige Boudreau (Dayton, Maine) had three finishes in the top ten. She took fifth in the shot put (10.99 meters), sixth in the discus throw (29.91 meters) and added an eighth place finish in the hammer throw (35.22 meters).
* Junior Erika Lillis (Merrimack, N.H.) ended up fifth in the javelin after a toss of 31.33 meters.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"This meet marks a significant high water mark for us in terms of points scored and placement in the conference meet," said head coach John Ostler. "We are a young team and we got a lot of important experience today. Hannah [Wescott] had a great day for us. She was constantly running from one venue to the next, but she stayed focused and earned a very fine point total for her team today."
* Plymouth State will head to Williams College next weekend (May 3-4) for the NCAA Division III New England Regional Championship.
|Wescott - 100m hurdles champion|
– 30 –