Panthers fall to Wellesley, Babson to open season
WALTHAM, Mass. – The Plymouth State University women's volleyball team dropped their first two matches of the season, falling to a pair of NEWMAC opponents at the Brandeis Invitational. PSU suffered a back-and-forth five set loss to Wellesley College to open the tournament, before falling to two-time defending NEWMAC champion Babson College in the nightcap.
Brandeis Invitational, Waltham, Mass. – Friday, Sept. 2, 2016
PSU 2, Wellesley 3 25-18, 23-25, 26-24, 20-25, 11-15
PSU 0, Babson 3 23-25, 18-25, 22-25
PSU 0-2; Wellesley 1-0; Babson 1-0.
PSU LEADERS vs. Wellesley
* Senior Brianna Wojtas (Salem, N.H.) … team-high 14 kills (.375 attack pct.), three blocks, six digs
* Junior Claire Sporer (Medford, Ore.) … eight kills, 12 digs, six aces, two blocks
* Sophomore Alisha Flanagan (Milton, N.H.) … 10 kills, eight digs, two aces
* Senior Rachel Morrissey (Salem, N.H.) … team-high 14 digs
* Junior Grace Sporer (Medford, Ore.) … 10 digs in PSU debut
* Junior setter Megan Bailey (Canterbury, N.H.) … 37 assists, eight digs
GAME NOTES vs. Wellesley
PSU won the opening set by building an early 10-4 lead and never looking back. Looking to take control of the match the Panthers grabbed a 19-13 advantage in the second set, only to see Wellesley rally for the 25-23 win. Plymouth State built a 17-11 lead in the third set before holding off another comeback attempt by the Blue for a 26-24 victory, but Wellesley knotted the match at two sets apiece after taking the fourth set 25-20. The Blue took an 8-5 lead midway through the decisive set before PSU rallied to cut the deficit to 10-9. Wellesley responded with a 5-2 run to close out the season opener for both teams.
DS Grace Sporer (transfer from Pacific University) and twin sister of OH Claire, made her PSU debut.
PSU LEADERS vs. Babson
* Claire Sporer … seven kills, .294 attack pct.
* Senior Dani Tabor (Seattle, Wash.) … six kills
* Junior libero Brenna Peruch (Cave Creek, Az.) … team-high 16 digs
GAME NOTES vs. Babson
Plymouth held an 18-13 lead in the first set before Babson rallied for the 25-23 win. The two teams found themselves tied 9-9 in the early going of the second set, before the Beavers used a 9-3 run to take control of the match. Babson jumped out to a quick 7-1 lead in the third set, but PSU battled back to trail 16-18. The Panthers couldn't get any closer, however, as Babson closed out the victory with a 25-22 third set win.
Brandeis Invitational, Waltham, Mass. – Saturday, Sept. 3, 2016
PSU vs. Johnson & Wales at 12 noon
-- 30 –