Wyland leads Panthers to victory in home opener
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Kayla Wyland (Melrose, Mass.) smashed 16 kills Tuesday evening to lead the Plymouth State University women's volleyball team to its first victory of the season, a 3-1 decision over Framingham State University in the Panthers' home opener at Foley Gymnasium.
PSU overcame an outstanding performance by Framingham State's Alycia Rackliffe (Feeding Hills, Mass.), who racked up a match-high 23 kills and 10 digs.
at Foley Gymnasium, Plymouth, N.H. – Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2017
PSU 3, Framingham State 1 25-12, 25-23, 17-25, 25-23
PSU 1-3; Framingham State 0-4
* Wyland had a team-high .438 attack percentage (16-2-32)
* Sophomore Alisha Flanagan (MiIton, N.H.) chipped in with seven kills.
* Junior setter Megan Bailey (Canterbury, N.H.) posted 46 assists and a team-best seven service aces.
* Five Panthers reached double figures in digs, led by junior Brenna Peruch (Cave Creek, Ariz.) with 18.
* Rackliffe had a match high 23 kills with a .288 attack percentage.
* Senior Julia Wan (South Deerfield, Mass.) contributed eight kills and junior Sarah Leonard (Southborough, Mass.) added six.
* Wan had a team-high 18 digs for the Rams, and junior Vicki Anderson (Attleboro, Mass.) was next with 16.
* Junior setter Molly Meehan (Quincy, Mass.) finished with 37 assists.
* PSU took a big lead in the first set on the serving by Bailey and never let Framingham get on track.
* The visitors took an early lead in the second set before PSU rallied to tie the set at 16-16 and pulling out the three-point decision.
* Framingham took the third set on some strong hitting by Rackliffe.
* The fourth set was back and forth the whole way. PSU pulled out the set, coming back from down 22-18 to clinch the victory.
* Granite State Challenge, at Daniel Webster College, Nashua, N.H. – Friday, Sept. 9, 2016
PSU vs. Keene State, 6:30 p.m.; PSU vs. Daniel Webster, 8:30 p.m.
* Framingham State plays its home opener Saturday, Sept. 10, hosting Newbury at 11:00 a.m. and the University of Southern Maine at 3:00 p.m.
-- 30 --