Sporer and Wyland combine for 31 kills for Panthers
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Senior Colleen Koen (Centerville, Mass.) smashed a match-high 27 kills Tuesday evening as the University of Massachusetts Boston rallied from a set down to pull out a 3-2 victory over Plymouth State University in a key Little East Conference women's volleyball match at Foley Gymnasium.
PSU needed extra points to capture their two sets, taking the first set, 32-20, and the third set, 28-26. UMB cruised to a 25-18 triumph in the second set, and stayed alive with a 28-26 victory in the fourth set before pulling out the match with a 15-12 verdict in the decisive fifth set.
at Foley Gymnasium, Plymouth, N.H. – Tuesday, Sept. 27, 2017
UMass Boston 3, Plymouth State 2 30-32, 25-18, 26-28, 28-26, 15-12
PSU 9-6 (2-1 LEC); UMB 12-1 (3-0 LEC)
* UMB is the defending Little East Conference champion and has won six of the last seven LEC titles.
* PSU trailed 22-18 in the first set before a five-point rally put the home team in front. The teams went back and forth, with each team having chances to close out the set. It was tied at every point from 23-23 to 30-30 before PSU got a kill and an ace from Sporer to take the set, 32-30
* UMB came out strong in the second set, with leads of 13-4 and 19-8. PSU mounted a comeback, pulling to within five points (21-16) before the Beacons took the set, 25-18, to even the match at a set apiece.
* Neither team had more than a two-point lead in the third set until UMB pulled ahead, 17-14. PSU ran off six straight points on the serving of junior Megan Bailey (Canterbury, N.H.) to take a 21-18 lead, but UMB came back to even the score at 21-all. The team traded the next 10 points before PSU pulled out the set on kills by Sporer, senior Brianna Wojtas (Salem, N.H.) and sophomore Alisha Flanagan (MiIton, N.H.)
* The fourth set was extremely close the whole way when PSU went on a run to turn a 13-13 tie into a 19-14 lead. UMB responded with five straight points to tie the set, and it was tight the rest of the way. PSU had a chance to close out the match, leading the set 24-22, but UMB captured three straight points and six of the next eight to win, 28-26, and force a fifth set.
* UMB stormed to an 8-2 lead before the teams switched sides in the fifth set. PSU came back with eight of the next 11 points to pull to with a point (11-10), but UMB took the next three points and then closed out the victory, 15-12.
* Sporer (17-6-55) had a .200 attack percentage while Wyland (14-3-39) hit at a .282 mark.
* Bailey finished with 40 assists, 10 digs and three service aces.
* Junior Brenna Peruch (Cave Creek, Ariz.) with led the defense with 20 digs, while Sporer added 10.
* Senior Mikki Taffe (East Hampstead, N.H.) was strong at the net with four blocks.
* Koen (27-5-41) had a .537 attack percentage
* Sophomore Eileen Shi (San Francisco, Calif.) contributed 17 kills and 19 digs.
* Senior Julia Murphy (Canton, Mass.) chipped in with 12 kills and a .478 attack pct.
* Senior Elizabeth Glavan (Edina, Minn.) recorded a match-high 41 digs.
* Setters Christina Elliott (Camas, Wash.) and Pepper Baker (Tallahassee, Fla.) combined for 51 assists.
* PSU vs. Emerson (at Simmons), Sat., Oct. 1, 5:00 p.m.; PSU at Simmons, Sat., Oct. 1, 7:00 p.m.
* UMB at Wellesley, Fri., Sept. 30, 6:00 p.m.
-- 30 --