Sporer paces Panthers to LEC victory
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Claire Sporer (Medford, Ore.) posted a double-double with team-highs of 10 kills and 13 digs Tuesday evening as Plymouth State University defeated the University of Southern Maine, 3-1, in a Little East Conference women's volleyball match at Foley Gymnasium.
PSU took the first two sets (25-17 and 25-9) before the visitors got on the board with a 25-21 verdict in the third set. The Panthers finished off the match with a 25-17 score in the fourth set.
Plymouth State improves to 11-7 overall and 3-1 in the Little East, while Southern Maine dips to 11-6 overall and 2-2 in conference play.
at Foley Gymnasium, Plymouth, N.H. – Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2016
Plymouth State 3, Southern Maine 1 25-17, 25-9, 21-25, 25-17
PSU 11-7 (3-1 LEC); USM 11-6 (2-2 LEC)
* USM held the lead for the first half of the first set before the home team rallied. USM led 13-9 when PSU ran off seven straight points, on the serving of senior Rachel Morrissey (Salem, N.H.), and 11 out of 12 to take a 20-14 advantage. Sporer added two more kills to give her five in the set.
* It was all Panthers in the second set as they ran up a big lead early on the serving of junior libero Brenna Peruch (Cave Creek, Ariz.). PSU gained a double-digit lead (14-4) and never looked back, closing out the set with six straight points, two on kills by senior Dani Tabor (Seattle, Wash.)
* USM didn't go quietly and came back with a strong third set, led by the hitting of junior Jess Williamson (Goffstown, N.H.), who had five of her match-high 13 kills in the set. It was tied at 21-all when the Huskies rattled off four straight points to finish and cut the margin to one set.
* The fourth set went back and forth, and a short USM rally pulled the visitors to with two points at 16-14. PSU answered with five straight points and seven of the next eight to make it 23-15 before a kill by junior Megan Bailey (Canterbury, N.H.) closed out the match.
* Sporer (10-8-36) was supported offensively by Tabor (9-3-22, .273) and senior Kayla Wyland (Melrose, Mass.)(8-1-24, .292).
* Bailey finished with 35 assists.
* Sophomore Alisha Flanagan (MiIton, N.H.) had a team-high three service aces, and Peruch finished with 12 digs.
* Williamson (13-7-37) also collected a double-double, adding a match-high 16 digs to her stat line.
* Adding offensive support for the Huskies was freshman Alayna McNally (Marlton, N.J.), who chipped in with six kills
* Senior Megan Nilson (Granby, Conn.) and sophomore Nicole Schmitz (St. Paul, Minn.) combined for 30 set assists.
* Freshman Jenna Graves (Corinth, Texas) chipped in defensively with 14 digs.
* PSU travels to Illinois this weekend for the Illinois Wesleyan Tournament. The Panthers will play Lincoln Christian and Fontbonne on Friday, Oct. 7, and North Central and Illinois Wesleyan on Saturday, Oct. 8.
* USM returns to action in a tri-match Saturday, Oct. 8, at UNE along with Maine Maritime.
-- 30 --