Wyland leads Panthers to non-conference win
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Senior Kayla Wyland (Melrose, Mass.) pounded 11 kills with a .364 attack percentage Thursday evening as Plymouth State University defeated Suffolk University, 3-0, in a non-conference women's volleyball match at Foley Gymnasium.
PSU took the first two sets (25-15 and 25-8) and then closed out the match with a 25-20 verdict in the third set. Plymouth State improves to 13-10 on the season, while Suffolk drops to 9-10 overall.
at Foley Gymnasium, Plymouth, N.H. – Thursday, Oct. 13, 2016
Plymouth State 3, Suffolk 0 25-15, 25-8, 25-20
PSU 13-10; Suffolk 9-10
* PSU took control of the set early and never looked back. The Panthers were up14-8 before a Suffolk timeout, and came out of the break with six straight points to push the margin to 20-8. Wyland and senior Brianna Wojtas (Salem, N.H.) each had four kills in the set.
* After taking a 5-0 lead in the second set, PSU extended the lead to 15-4 on some strong serving by junior Megan Bailey (Canterbury, N.H.). The Panthers were up 18-8 when they closed out the set with seven straight points on the service of junior libero Brenna Peruch (Cave Creek, Ariz.).
* PSU got some playing time for the reserves in the third set. Suffolk kept the score close, coming back from an early deficit to tie the set at 12-12. The Panthers pulled ahead, but Suffolk hung tough, trailing just 19-18 late in the set. PSU proved to be too strong, closing out the set and the match on a kill by senior Mikki Taffe (East Hampstead, N.H.)
* In addition to Wyland's 11 kills, Wojtas made eight winners with a .294 attack percentage (8-3-17).
* Bailey finished with a team-high four service aces and 16 assists in just two sets, and freshman Shannon Howland (Delmar, N.Y.) chipped in with 10 assists in the third set.
* Sophomore Bridget Allison (Westford, Mass.) topped the visitors with four kills and four blocks.
* Allison and junior Liz Kerek (Holbrook, Mass.) shared team-high honors with six digs.
* PSU plays at the LEC-NEWMAC Challenge at Keene State on Saturday, Oct. 15; PSU vs. Mount Holyoke, 12 noon; PSU vs. Smith, 2:00 p.m.
* Suffolk at Anna Maria, Wednesday, Oct. 19, 7:00 p.m.
-- 30 --