Tabor, Wojtas lead Panthers to fifth straight win
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Seniors Dani Tabor (Seattle, Wash.) and Brianna Wojtas (Salem, N.H.) dropped 14 kills apiece to help lead the Plymouth State University women's volleyball team past Rhode Island College, 3-2, in a Little East Conference (LEC) match-up at The Murray Center on Saturday afternoon. The surging Panthers have now won five straight matches to improve to 17-10 (5-1 LEC), while locking up the two-seed in the upcoming LEC Tournament. Rhode Island College falls to 9-13 (0-6 LEC).
The Murray Center, Providence, R.I. – Saturday, Oct. 22, 2016
Plymouth State 3, RIC 2 25-19, 19-25, 25-19, 20-25, 15-11
Plymouth State 17-10 (5-1 LEC); RIC 9-13 (0-6 LEC)
* Tabor and Wojtas paced the offense with 14 kills each, while sophomore Alisha Flanagan (Milton, N.H.) added eight.
* Junior Brenna Peruch (Cave Creek, Ariz.) led a quartet of Panthers with double-digit digs. The libero finished with a match-high 27, while classmate Megan Bailey (Canterbury, N.H.) had 14. Sporer and senior Rachel Morrissey (Salem, N.H.) finished with 13 and 11, respectively.
* Bailey led the offense with a match-high 46 assists.
* The Panthers finished with an impressive 11 service aces, including four from Morrissey, three from Peruch and a pair from Wojtas.
* Wojtas was also strong at the net defensively, leading the way with five total blocks (one solo and four block assists). Bailey and Tabor each finished with three block assists, and Sporer added two block assists.
- PSU opened the match with a flurry, going up 8-2 after an ace from Flanagan, but RIC fought back with four straight points to cut the deficit to 8-6.
- PSU built the lead back up to 18-10 behind the strong serving of Bailey and Morrissey.
- A late Anchorwomen rally fell short as Plymouth wrapped up a 25-19 opening set win.
- PSU hit an impressive .321 in the set (11-2-28), while holding RIC to a .000 attack percentage (8-8-30).
- Morrissey served two aces to help PSU build an early 5-2 lead.
- A run of seven straight points by RIC put the hosts in front 15-9 midway through the set.
- A Flanagan kill pulled Plymouth State to within four points (19-15), but the Anchorwomen held on for a 25-19 win.
- RIC started strong, but an ace from Wojtas and a RIC error tied the game at 7-7.
- Trailing 12-10, a kill from Tabor sparked a Panther rally. Peruch served five straight points, including a pair of aces, as PSU pulled in front, 16-12.
- RIC cutting the margin to 19-17, but consecutive attack errors by the hosts put PSU back in control.
- Kills from Tabor and Sporer down the stretch wrapped up the 25-19 decision.
- Three kills from Wojtas helped PSU build an early 7-4 lead.
- RIC came back and the teams were tied at 8-8, 10-10, 12-12, 13-13, 15-15, 17-17 and 18-18 before the hosts were able to pull ahead.
- A RIC kill and ace, sandwiched around a PSU attack error, gave the Anchorwomen a 21-18 lead.
- Plymouth responded with two straight points but was unable to get any closer as RIC took the set 25-20.
- Kills from Wojtas and Wyland, among a spell of RIC errors, helped give PSU an early 6-0 lead.
- The hosts rallied to cut the deficit to 7-5 and force a PSU timeout.
- A kill from Wojtas stopped the Anchorwomen's momentum and PSU pulled ahead 11-6.
- Three kills from Tabor down the stretch wrapped up the 15-11 win.
Plymouth State will honor its seniors and raise awareness for breast cancer as the team hosts Senior Day and Dig Pink Day together on Saturday, Oct. 29. PSU will face LEC foe UMass-Dartmouth in the opener (12:00 p.m.), before meeting Salem State in the regular season finale (4:00 p.m.).
RIC is back in action on Tuesday (10/25) as the Anchorwomen travel to Dartmouth, Mass. to face the Corsairs (7:00 p.m.).