Panthers fall to Endicott, Babson in non-conference action
BEVERLY, Mass. – Sophomore Francie Shaffer (Frederick, Colo.) pounded down 16 kills, but the Plymouth State University women's volleyball team dropped a pair of matches to regional powers Endicott College and Babson College in non-conference action at MacDonald Gymnasium on Saturday afternoon.
The Panthers opened with a 3-1 (25-19, 25-19, 21-25, 25-13) setback to host Endicott, before falling to Babson by a 3-0 (25-13, 25-22, 25-12) margin. Babson earned a 3-1 (25-17, 13-25, 25-23, 25-16) win over Endicott in the day's final match.
Babson is ranked eighth in the latest New England Women's Volleyball Association (NEWVA) poll, with Endicott holding the ninth spot.
PSU falls to 8-13, while Endicott improves to 13-6 and Babson to 12-5.
Plymouth State 1, Endicott 3
Plymouth State 0, Babson 3
Plymouth State 8-13
How it Happened (Endicott):
* Senior Ari Linden (Lena, Ill.) pounded down a kill to force an Endicott timeout with the Panthers leading 9-5. Moments later back-to-back errors by the Gulls and a Linden ace made it a 13-9 advantage.
* Endicott chipped away, then pulled in front 19-18, but a kill by freshman Alexa Price (Moultonborough, N.H.) evened the set at 19-19. The Gulls answered with six straight points, including four kills from junior Alex Dippel (Fallston, Md.) to take the first set, 25-19.
* Three kills from Shaffer and four Endicott errors helped PSU take an early 7-4 lead in set two. Junior Lex Bowers (Port St. Lucie, Fla.) kept the Panthers in front, 14-12, with a kill, but the Gulls answered with an 8-0 run sparked by a pair of aces from junior Emma Jutras (Cranston, R.I.).
* Bowers found the floor to stop the run and an ace from senior Kennedy Mang (Livonia, Mich.) and a Gulls' error pulled the Panthers to within 20-17, but Endicott responded with five of the next seven points to take set two, 25-19.
* Three straight Endicott errors gave Plymouth State a 12-8 lead in the third set. The Gulls battled back to go ahead, 14-13, but kills from Linden and freshman Hannah Douglas (Rochester, N.H.) and two more Endicott miscues put the Panthers in front, 17-14.
* With the game knotted at 18-18, a service error gave PSU the lead for good. Price followed with an ace to make it 20-18 and the teams traded points until back-to-back kills from Bowers gave the Panthers set three, 25-21.
* Linden's kill pulled PSU to within 7-6 in the fourth set, but EC answered with a 12-1 run to put the game away.
Inside the Numbers (Endicott):
* Shaffer and Bowers finished with ten kills apiece, with Linden chipping in with eight. Bowers added 11 digs for her fourth double-double in seven games.
* Dippel and senior Emma Mancini (Lynnfield, Mass.) each finished with 12 kills for the Gulls.
* Freshman Brooke Beaudet (Gilford, N.H.) led a quartet of Panthers in double-digit digs. Beaudet finished with a match-high 16, while Douglas (11) and Price (10) also reached double figures.
* Price added a career-high 31 assists for her second double-double of the year.
* The Panthers have gone 10-10 all-time against Endicott. PSU topped the Gulls in five sets last fall.
How it Happened (Babson):
* After the teams traded points to open the match, Babson used a 12-2 run to build a 17-6 lead. A pair of kills from Shaffer and an ace by Beaudet cut the deficit to 19-13, but the Beavers got a sideout and ran six straight points to take set one, 25-13.
* PSU scored four straight points behind a pair of Linden kills and two aces from Bowers to take a 10-6 lead. Babson answered with a 6-0 run to pull back in front. Plymouth State rallied, though, and kills by Shaffer and junior Allie Rogers (Sandown, N.H.), paired with another Beaudet ace, gave the Panthers a 19-17 lead.
* After the Beavers rallied to tie the game at 21-21, a Douglas kill gave PSU the lead and forced a Babson timeout. Babson responded with a kill and block to go back in front, 23-22, and, following a PSU timeout, back-to-back aces wrapped up set two, 25-23.
* The Beavers scored the first four points of the third set and never looked back, running away with a 25-12 win.
Inside the Numbers (Babson):
* Shaffer posted a match-high six kills, with Linden, Douglas and Bowers each adding five.
* Beaudet again paced the defense, posting nine digs to go with her two aces.
* Bowers and Douglas each chipped in with eight digs apiece.
* PSU drops to 0-4 all-time against the Beavers.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"We played competitively against two tough ranked teams," said head coach Joan Forge. "This experience should help us in our next conference match."
* Plymouth State hosts UMass Boston for a Little East match on Wednesday (Oct. 10) at 6:00 p.m.
* Endicott travels to Roger Williams on Tuesday (Oct. 9) for a Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) contest.
* Babson hosts Wheaton on Tuesday (Oct. 9) for a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) match with first serve set for 7:00 p.m.
– 30 –