Flanagan notches eight kills, three blocks in LEC win
GORHAM, Maine – Freshman Emilee Flanagan (Milton, N.H.) pounded down nine kills and added three blocks while hitting .381 to lead Plymouth State University to a 3-0 (25-20, 25-22, 25-22) win over the University of Southern Maine in a Little East Conference (LEC) women's volleyball match at Hill Gymnasium on Wednesday night.
Flanagan and junior Carabeth Norklun (Goffstown, N.H.) were solid in the middle, as Norklun chipped in with seven kills without an error.
Plymouth State extends its winning streak to ten-straight, the longest streak since the 2009 team ripped off 16 wins in a row, and improves to 19-1 overall and 2-0 in the Little East. Southern Maine drops to 7-10 and 1-2 in conference play.
Plymouth State 3, Southern Maine 0
Plymouth State (19-1, 2-0 LEC)
Southern Maine (7-10, 1-2 LEC)
How it Happened:
- PSU got out to a 13-5 lead in set one to force a Huskies' timeout. The Panthers would maintain at least a four-point advantage the rest of the way, and a kill from junior Francie Shaffer (Frederick, Colo.) wrapped up the 25-20 win.
- The second set was a back-and-forth battle as USM erased an early four-point deficit. With the score knotted at 22-22, sophomore Alexa Price (Moultonborough, N.H.) picked up the tie-breaking kill and senior Lex Bowers (Port St. Lucie, Fla.) followed with a kill of her own before classmate Alisha Flanagan (Milton, N.H.) served up an ace to secure the 25-22 victory.
- Southern Maine took a 12-9 lead in the third set, but E. Flanagan notched a kill and sophomore Jaia Woodland (Charlottesville, Va.) recorded back-to-back blocks to even the score and force a timeout.
- USM responded out of the break, pulling ahead 18-14, before a missed serve stopped the momentum. Plymouth State surged in front with nine of the next ten points, sparked by two kills apiece from Bowers and Norklun, to take a 23-19 lead.
- The Huskies pulled to within 23-21, but an attack error and Norklun kill wrapped up the 25-22 win.
Inside the Numbers:
- Shaffer posted a match-high ten kills, with Bowers adding nine kills and 13 digs.
- Price picked up 31 assists and four kills, while A. Flanagan racked up a match-best 16 digs and added a pair of aces.
- PSU hit .259 for the match and tallied 45 kills, while limiting Southern Maine to 29 kills and a .131 attack percentage.
- Plymouth State improves to a perfect 25-0 all-time against the Huskies.
- PSU returns home for a non-conference, Homecoming tri-match on Saturday (Oct. 5). The Panthers will square off with Worcester State at noon before facing Northern Vermont-Lyndon at 4:00 p.m.
– 30 –