Goulette paces Panthers with 12th-place finish
NORTH DARTMOUTH, Mass. – Sophomore Rileigh Goulette (Saint Albans, Vt.) finished in 12th place among 85 runners Saturday afternoon, breaking the school record and leading Plymouth State University to a fourth-place finish at the Little East Conference women's cross country championships hosted by the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.
Goulette ran an outstanding race for the Panthers. She set a new school record with a time of 19 minutes, 30 second for the 5k distance. Her time bettered the previous school record of 19:42, and improved her personal best by a minute and eight seconds.
PSU, in its fourth season as a varsity sport, moved up one spot from last year's fifth-place finish.
Little East Conference Championships, hosted by UMass Dartmouth, North Dartmouth, Mass.
Saturday, Oct. 29, 2016 (8K course)
Keene State 35; Southern Maine 59; Eastern Connecticut 70; Plymouth State 114; UMass Dartmouth 121; Rhode Island College 157; UMass Boston 176
1. Lindsay Szuch, KSC (18:02.74); 2. Jasmine Boyle, USM (18:34.40); 3. Hannah Damron, USM (18:38.08)
* Goulette's 12th place is the highest finish ever for a PSU runner at the LEC Championship (Lora Giguere (Tolland, Conn.) was 21st in 2015).
* Other scorers for PSU included sophomores Ashley Bergeron (Berlin, N.H.), 20th in 19:57, her first sub-20 minute time, and Haley Dennis (Coventry, R.I.), 23rd in a personal-best 20:05; freshman Dayshia Randall (Troy, N.Y.),28th in 20.14; and senior Sarah Uhlman (Ashland, N.H.), 32nd in a personal best 20:17.
* PSU set school records for: 1-5 spread (:44), 1-7 spread (1:02), and top five average time (20:01)
* Also setting personal best times for PSU were Giguere (20:20), freshman Eve Bagley (Holliston, Mass.), 20:32; sophomore Danielle Ahern (Chelmsford, Mass.), 21:08; freshman Carolynne Maki (Barre, Mass.), 21:33; sophomore Isabella Mongillo (Hamden, Conn.), 21:44; sophomore Jennifer Marcus (Eliot, Maine), 21:55; sophomore Jess Conant (Canton, Maine), 23:04; freshman Rebecca Khimatian (Cumberland, R.I.), 23:05; and freshman Jaycee Rowell (Havehill, Mass.), 23:56.
NCAA Regionals, at Westfield State (Mass.), Saturday, Nov. 12, 12:30 p.m.
-- 30 --