Bartlett close behind in third as Panthers place fourth as a team
NORTH DARTMOUTH, Mass. – Sophomore Sam Brunnette (Newport, Vt.) captured the Little East Conference individual men's cross country championship Saturday morning, outrunning a field of 59 runners in an 8k race hosted by the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.
Brunnette was followed 15 seconds later behind by classmate Warren Bartlett (Loudon, N.H.), who finished in third place, separated only by UMD senior Michael Vaz, who was running on his home course. Brunnette and Bartlett helped the Panthers to a fourth-place finish among six schools in the team scoring.
Little East Conference Championships, hosted by UMass Dartmouth, North Dartmouth, Mass.
Saturday, Oct. 29, 2016 (8K course)
Southern Maine 45; Keene State 56, UMass Dartmouth 57, Plymouth State 97, Eastern Connecticut 117, UMass Boston 148
* Brunnette and Bartlett made up half of a four-person lead pack which quickly separated from the rest of the field and stayed tight for three miles. Brunnette used a gradual incline at the 4-mile mark to take his first lead of the race and slowly build a gap, according to PSU head coach John Ostler.
* "Sam decided to sit behind Vaz for the majority of the race figuring (correctly) that Vaz would run a smart, well-paced race on his home course," said Ostler.
* Brunnette finished in 25 minutes, 12 seconds, just three seconds off his personal best and school record. This marks his second win of the year (Keene Invite 10/1). Bartlett posted a personal-best time of 25:27.
* Also scoring for PSU were freshman Noah Byington (Hanscomb AFB, Mass.), 16th in a PR 27:08; freshmen Trevor Campbell (Coventry, R.I.), 43rd in 29:28, and senior Shawn Miller (Atkinson, N.H.), 44th in 29.49.
* This marks the fourth top-five team finish for PSU this year. The team's 27:25 top-five average time is a :10 improvement on the PSU showing on the same course in September.
NCAA Regionals, at Westfield State (Mass.), Saturday, Nov. 12, 11 a.m.
-- 30 --