Bartlett takes individual title to lead Panthers
NEW LONDON, N.H. – Senior Warren Bartlett (Loudon, N.H.) was the first to cross the finish line to take the individual title as the Plymouth State University men's cross country team took first at the Charger Invitational hosted by Colby-Sawyer College on Saturday afternoon.
PSU had four runners place in the top ten, with sophomores Marcus Cryan (Topsfield, Mass.), Jared Wolf (Tyngsborough, Mass.) and junior Noah Byington (Hanscom AFB, Mass.) placing fourth, eighth and ninth respectively.
The race featured Plymouth State, Colby-Sawyer, Northern Vermont University-Lyndon and several unattached runners.
Plymouth State 26, Colby-Sawyer 31, NVU-Lyndon No Team Score
How it Happened:
* Bartlett set the pace as just one of two runners to finish the 5k course in under 16 minutes, winning with a time of 15:48.40.
* Cryan held off a pair of Chargers to grab fourth place with a time of 16:49.00.
* Wolf crossed the line just ahead of Byington for eighth place with the pair finishing in 17:17.00 and 17:18.10 respectively.
Inside the Numbers:
* In addition to the four top-ten finishers, the Panthers relied on their depth to fill the middle portion of the field.
* PSU had seven runners finish between 12th and 20th, led by freshman Alex Gordon (South Burlington, Vt.), who finished in 17:33.90.
* Senior Chaim Tendler (Manchester, N.H.) and junior Hunter Zabkar (Lee, N.H.) were the final two Panthers to secure team points, finishing 14th and 15th, respectively. Tendler crossed the line in 17:40.20, with Zabkar posting a time of 17:45.20
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"Our sophomores and juniors grew up over the summer," commented head coach John Ostler. "They committed in the offseason and it showed today. We will be a much more well-rounded team this year. Warren [Bartlett] looked to be in midseason form and the guys fed off his strong start. It was a complete team race."
* The Panthers will take a week off before heading to UMass Dartmouth for the Corsair Classic on Saturday, Sept. 15. The race is set for an 11:15 a.m. start time.
– 30 –