Bowles, Dennis, Giguere finish one, two, three for Panthers
NEW LONDON, N.H. – Freshman Kim Bowles (Wonalancet, N.H.) and seniors Haley Dennis (Coventry, R.I.) and Lora Giguere (Tolland, Conn.) took the top three spots as the Plymouth State University women's cross country team finished first at the Charger Invitational hosted by Colby-Sawyer College on Saturday afternoon.
PSU swept the podium and had three more runners place in the top ten in the season-opening race, with junior Eve Bagley (Holliston, Mass.) taking sixth ahead of sophomore Leanne Burgess (Bradford, Vt.) and freshman Mia Demarco (Merrimack, N.H.), who placed eighth and tenth respectively.
The field was made up of runners from Plymouth State, Colby-Sawyer and Northern Vermont University-Lyndon.
Plymouth State 20, Colby-Sawyer 36, NVU-Lyndon 81
How it Happened:
* Bowles held off a pair of teammates to capture her first individual title in her first collegiate race, finishing the 5k course in 20:43.90.
* Dennis crossed the line less than three seconds later (20:46.10), with Giguere giving the Panthers the top three spots with a time of 20:56.00.
* Bagley finished in 21:48.00 for sixth, while Burgess posted a time of 22:22.20. DeMarco crossed the finish line in 22:54.00.
Inside the Numbers:
* The Panthers had two other runners place in the top-20, with senior Danielle Ahern (Chelmsford, Mass.) finishing 12th in 23:20.60.
* Classmate Isabella Mongillo (Hamden, Conn.) took 18th with a time of 24:17.50.
* With all seven point-scorers finishing in the top-12, PSU captured the team title with relative ease.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"This is a great start for our women," noted head coach John Ostler. "Their result today is a direct reflection of the work they put in during the summer. Our top three ran in control the whole way and I'm proud of Kim [Bowles] for starting her career the best way possible, with a win."
* The Panthers have two full weeks before their first look at some Little East Conference competition. PSU will compete in the Corsair Classic at UMass Dartmouth on Saturday, Sept. 15. Start time is set for 12:00 p.m.
– 30 –